Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: all caps never equaled the truth...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22478&mesg_id=22522
22522, RE: all caps never equaled the truth...
Posted by spirit, Thu Aug-03-00 06:49 AM
>And they have all been racist
>studies. I hope you
>try to prove me wrong
>here. I'm willing to
>admit it if you find
>one, but I don't think
>you can. (what i
>mean by 'racist' is that
>they wanted to show that
>race is somehow important -
>at least that's how i
>define racism)

So, by your definition, the NAACP is a racist organization. Al Sharpton, Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, anyone who fights against racial oppression to you is racist because they feel race is "somehow important". Well, sir or mam, I'm in total disagreement.

>> Much
>>of that research is tainted
>>with racial bias,
>
>like i said...

You don't believe in race, how can you believe in racial bias?

>I can't find scientific proof, because
>in order to do that
>I would need a scientific
>definition of "black" and "white".
> There is a scientific
>definition of Asian... Just be
>from the continent of Asia
>(of course that doesn't mean
>your ancestry isn't South African).

There's nothing scientific about that. What if you were born in a plane flying over Isreal. Are you "Asian" when your parents are both "European"? Borders are arbitrary, created by war and political compromise as often as by actual geography (i.e. some borders are natural, created by mountains and rivers). Besides that, no one considers Israelis to be Asian, although Isreal is on the continent of Asia, as is much of Russia. Asian is considered a racial group and usually refers to parties in Southeast Asia.

>What is black. try to
>define it. Is an
>Egyptian black? Only some
>Egyptians? Are those the
>ones who you would look
>at and say "They're black"?
> But not the other
>ones, the more Arab looking
>ones.

what is "arab looking"? you question what black is, but then you use the racial classification "arab" (which is NOT a nationality).

> You know they
>all have very similar ancestry
>right? as similar as
>two "blacks" from Nigeria.

Being that Nigeria has borders that were arbitrarily created by European colonialism, arguing about ancestry across African borders is ludicrous.

>as similar as two "whites"
>from Sweden. So what
>is it? Yes? No?
> Maybe? Half and
>half? Saying an Egyptian
>is half black half white
>is like saying a Chinese
>person is half American Indian,
>half European. Or half Indian,
>half Russian.

What is "half-Indian" or "half-Russian"? are there some biological means that you could utilize to determine if someone is Russian?

>Racial theories are their own evidence
>and their own consequence.
>Other than themselves, they have
>no backing or consequences.

Actually, all group classifications are arbitrary. National origin, ethnicity, all of them are based on the idea of seperating people by mild differences into groups that aren't even homogenous (for instance, is someone with American parents Russian if they were born there, but raised in Mongolia? it's all arbitrary).

>>
>>And, no, "light skinned black people"
>>are not a seperate race,
>>they are lighter skinned people
>>with black features, which is
>>how you can distinguish them
>>from Asian people or white
>>people.
>
>Okay, let's for the sake of
>argument say that race has
>scientific backing. Then wouldn't
>a "light skinned black person"
>be as much of a
>"white person" as they are
>a "black person"?

first, what is "light skinned"? there are "light skinned" people with two "black" parents, one "black" and one "white" parent, one "black" and one "Asian" parent and so on...the fact that you assume that it is a black/white issue shows how tainted this whole discussion is with white supremacy...most "light skinned black" people have
two "black" parents....

This whole thing is pretty much a pointless exercise, as neither you or Koala seem to have any serious plans to convince the masses of your ideology's correctness. This is the ACTIVIST board. What are you going to do about the issue? Pass out leaflets explaining your cause? Call representatives to pressure them to remove race from all government classifications? Urge the NAACP to change its name to the NAAP? I see talk, no action, so I'm outta here...

In any case, I'm politically opposed to your ideas, sorry....

Spread love,

Spirit
http://www.theamphibians.com

9 out of 10 people with two arms find something interesting about http://www.theamphibians.com
This summer: new audio, same odd sense of humor. Don't get "left" out, mossie your two-armed self on over and check it out.