Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectresponse to poindex and smellodragon
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22478&mesg_id=22496
22496, response to poindex and smellodragon
Posted by DJ_scratch_N_sniff, Sun Jul-30-00 01:11 PM
velo: We're all descended from Africa, but we're not all the same. We're all different. Everyone's unique.

>
>How come Black People are more
>proned to have sickle cell
>Anemia? Not trying to
>argue, I really would like
>to hear a sound explaination
>of this fact.

That's because back in the day (shit, actuall as we speak) malaria killed many people in Africa and if you inherit the sickle-cell gene from one parent, you're immune to malaria. So even though it's a terrible disease, it propagated because it was advantageous to have one gene to protect you against malaria. You probably knew that already. Just an environmentally determined advantage in nature. Just like you don't want pinkish-white skin in Africa either.

Different environmental conditions will make certain genes more advantageous in certain environments.

But we're talking about individual genes here. The human genome has so many billions of genes that comparatively, the number of genes that adapt you to an environment of Europe as opposed to Africa, or Samoa or anywhere else, is so small that the actual difference is negligible.

The human species, scientifically speaking, is amazingly homogeneous compared to most species. We're all in the same size range, with rare exceptions. We all grow hair on the top of our heads, smile when we're happy. Every culture on Earth has had religion. We share a lot in common.

But two random Africans, even if they both have the sickle cell gene, probably share no more in common, genetically, than either shares with a random European. Europe and Africa are much closer than some folks would like to believe.

Just thought i'd like to mention that I know a little blonde girl with sickle cell anemia. Her mom is very light-skinned African American and her father is a "white" Brazilian... not that white i guess...