Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI dig...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2416
2416, I dig...
Posted by travismallen, Thu Mar-25-04 10:54 AM
I just want to be clear on your argument. You're saying people who don't care about black issues and who claim to be conscious have fucked up politics. Does this also include those who claim to be conscious, but don't agree with some of the "ideas" that some who claim to be conscious believe...hmmm...I guess that explain why there's been so much talk of interracial dating in here...

My position still stands with politics and love, as I believe it includes this angle. I think that if you're conscious you going to put that in your evaluation of what you have in common with someone. Generally, I'd imagine most would find it hard to be with someone who couldn't relate to being as passionate about something like socially aware Blacks are, but if they can relate, I don't believe that they have to agree on ALL the issues. I don't think love is some cop-out for addressing the issue and I think that if there is too many differences in politics love isn't going to be enough. I see love and politics as separate identies that can effect each other...

Side Note:
I noticed the tendency to want to lump those who aren't conscious and those who don't choose a position with those who choose a position that's different from most "conscious" Black as having fucked politics or Uncle Toms. If I were to said I was against Affirmaive Action (just a hypothetical!Which is funny because I work in a AA and EO department)people would be throwing shit about me and my "Blackness" without even hearing an argument or what I think was needed.