Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: the analogy was in reference....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2414
2414, RE: the analogy was in reference....
Posted by travismallen, Thu Mar-25-04 10:01 AM
>to people that claim to have some sort of consciousness.
When you say consciousness to you mean if a person is aware a political issue?

Because there are issues that people will debate that don't really mean anything to me.

>if you sit
>the fence, you are admitted implicitly that your politics
>are fucked up.

So if these issues that I'm aware of but don't believe require me to choose a side on never get a solid Pro or Con from me, my politics are fucked up?

I can't agree with that. There are some things that are political debates over more or less opinions/preferences of two groups that I don't necessarily identify with. Personally there are some debates where I can see validity in both sides of the argument, but because it doesn't effect me directly I let those who it does effect deal with it. Case and point "Under God" in the pledge. I don't care either way, because I never said it to begin with, but currently its a political issue. I guess my point is there are so many causes/issue that somebody some where wants addressed and I think that we should have to feel like it is mandatory for us to choose a side if it simplely doesn't effect us.

Now, I can see truth in your argument if there is a political debate that would clearly have an impact on a person and the group that person idenifies with. Should this person choose to straddle the fence to prevent dithering feathers, perhaps their politics are fucked up. Or perhaps they're not strong enough to stand for something...