Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectresponse
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2371
2371, response
Posted by HueyShakur, Thu Mar-25-04 08:47 AM
>why do and how do you feel romance and love are a part of
>the western culutural hegemony and why do you feel it is
>detrimental?

we have all been thoroughly colonized and suffer from cultural imperialism on many different levels. one of those levels is what we come to know as love and/or romance. we are all well acquainted with the dominant articulation and expectations.

all cultural imperialism is detrimental because it denies peoples, individually and collectively, to create and understand things for themselves without the tongue or mind of the imperialist. for instance, many Black folk in America speak english, i'm saying that because we speak english doesn't mean that the english language emboldens us to clearly and specifically articulate our condition because the language is not our own. there is resistance, however, through Black English or Ebonics but the resistance is only a testament to Black struggle against cultural imperialism not an embrace of it. the same needs to be more common when it comes to love and/or romance.

>i thought i understood with my whole marx opium
>theory which i was willing to accept but what is your
>opinion?

i don't get down with marx like that.

peace.