Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecti think ...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2365
2365, i think ...
Posted by loveluv, Mon Mar-22-04 06:52 PM
we are on the same page. i think what i can see as what i was saying may be construed as some republican/conservative pull yourself up by your bootstraps bs. that is not what i am saying while i advocate that i think that we need to look at smaller organizations. that deal with specific needs within idividual communities. my example was jewish people and asians. i don't think that they have forgoten their comunity, but the bigger picture is making the little steps. gettin the kids edmucated, saving creating personal wealth and then using that within to create more schools programs etc. there are plenty of jewish com centers and i have always heard about asian communites creating study centers etc. i think that we need to take personal responsibility also and stop waiting for the next martin/malcom. no doubt we need larger orgs but they should be more like an legal center sort a like the anti def league, that is what the naacp kinda was at some point right i think. we should have more charter schools and other programs.
what i was saying as far as assimilation is that we as a group have not assimilated. the other groups have. we have to look at what that means. i have never worked at a company and called it "us at....", "we at..." i think that is a telling sign cause white people say it all the time. that means that they are thinking of the company in totally different terms than i am. i am separate from the company and that can make a lot of difference. i am not sure how to handle that though. cause i would never openly advocate assimilation. but it is definitely one of the steps to becoming succesful aka colin and condeliza.