Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Again, on the contrary
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2356
2356, RE: Again, on the contrary
Posted by kayru99, Sun Mar-21-04 04:23 AM
A couple of points:

I agree american culture is unique. But I believe that uniqueness is VERY much a by-product of AFRICAN cultural retentions (now that's a whole nother discussion altogether).

I ain't gonna use your relationship as an example (which is really funny, considering the question asked, lol)...but we live in a culture where middle-class waspishness is seen as the norm. The closer you get to that the more normal you are. That includes skin color, ideas of love, sex, religion, etc, etc. This idea feeds those people of color who disclaim their place of origin.

ANY person of color that solely identifies with their American experience is outta they damn mind because

1) This country ain't even 300 years old yet
2) This country does it's damnedest to fuck up people of color

I recognize the differences that exist between me and say the nigerian dude down the street. But I would never be silly enough to say that i got more in common with an irish man in wisconsin than i do with a "kaffir" in capetown, simply because i'm in america.

And besides all that shit...the idea of romantic love is PURELY european and is no more than 400 years old or so.