Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: i dont think he's romanticizing it...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2346
2346, RE: i dont think he's romanticizing it...
Posted by dhalgren718, Sat Mar-20-04 01:16 PM
Race comes into play - shit, we joke about that shit all the time. We're not into this monocultural LOVE CONQUERS ALL fuckery - we're into this "We love each other and respect each other, so fuck these jealous crabs who can't deal with it." She's supportive of my Jewish heritage and I support her African-American heritage (not 'Afrikan' - she's very clear that she's Chicago Black, with roots in Mississippi and New Orleans). My family don't give a crosseyed Colorado fuck - they knew we'd met in college, and that she was educated and career-oriented were their only concerns. Her mother's side of the family is a little fucked up over it, but her father was cool once he saw I wasn't just some lame, but someone who would protect and care for his daughter. See, both my parents were white and Jewish and that didn't save their marriage, so there was no emphasis on that. Like I said, homogoneity doesn't guarantee a fucking thing.

My wife and I are affectionate with each other publicly, but we'll yell and cuss up a storm publicly, too. I guess that's suspect when you're the 'MIXED COUPLE'. But then, that's the scrutiny I'm talking about. Your mom wouldn't have looked twice if we were a Puerto Rican couple snuggling as we walked down the street- but we're mixed, so she made an off the cuff observation that she passed onto you, and here we are. No disrespect to your mom, but it may not even have been a VALID observation! It was a superficial thing she noticed on the street, then made assumptions. Did she talk to anyone in theses couplings? Does she know any personally? Come on, man...