Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectbut
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2263
2263, but
Posted by loveluv, Thu Mar-18-04 07:20 PM
what if your type, and imma use freud here, is like your mother cause i have had that said about me. now, if i am looking for someone who resembles my mother, what characteristics am i going to be looking for now? now from the outset you say that we are politicised, but i would argue that those first years, the ones that are supposed to be so formative, we have little knowledge of race. in my case due to segragation. so i know my mother not as a race, but as a person, as a personality, as my representation of unconditional female love. now, subconicously could i possibly be looking for a race. no i would argue that i am looking for a personality maybe a smell, who knows but i may not be looking for a race. course this all depends on how you view freud.

i know you made the comparison about the burning building and all, but what if what is best for me is to marry someone outside of the race. lets just say that that person is not black like me. does that somehow make me wrong and where and when do we draw the line for self preservation. there are alot of radical black revs from the sixties that are in dire staights, but you odn't see the race steppin up to help them out. the race is fine, but in the end of the day they aren't going to make me feel warm and special and all those things the right woman makes you feel.

granted there are a lot of people who are making a political statement by who they are dating or married to, but i would go so far as to say that those people are the people who "only date". whether that only is white women, black men, asian women, latino, whatever the "only" is, whether it is intra or inter. i think that then you are definitely looking at someone who is suffering from the effects of politicized love. now if someone is an equal opportunity person then i would see that as actually a little less political. i am not talking about just having sex but having commited relationships. there are plenty of people who will mess with someone from outside of their race, but would never marry a person outside of their race right. those people also would be afflicted.
oh and speaking of interacial dating did you check out the marcus pics.