Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjecthere goes...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=2242&mesg_id=2256
2256, here goes...
Posted by HueyShakur, Thu Mar-18-04 08:01 AM
*scrathes head*

a means of measurement? hmm, well something like this is hardly quantifiable and qualifying it is also rather difficult.

i'm working with an understanding that all of us are political beings that make choices which effect the individulal and the collective. and at the same time, we must also interact with a political world exterior to the self. with that, each of us has a position in society to work from and articulate a situation.

here's an example that's off topic. a fourteen Black teen gives birth. yet, that statement breeds so many assumptions and conclusions all based in a political understandings. here's some: a) why is she having a child so young? b) who is going to take care of that child? c) why is a fourteen year old having sex in the first place? d) damn! another Black child is born out of wedlock. e) kids these days are so fast, f) who's the daddy? and the list goes on. but the reality is that since this teen is of a certain maturity, anatomically, child bearing is a possibility. all the rest is politics. you'll probably have some folk just happy to have another Black life brought into the world. it runs the gamut.

people choose to be in a "love relationship" and consciously choose their mate(s). so there has to be a politics of love/attraction/courtship. my hunch is that since it's not a comfortable thing to talk about folk pretend to live in romantic la-la land.

in short, i'm saying that ALL relationships are political, both amongst partners and from outsiders looking in/at. so feel free to share. LOL. i'm all eyes.

peace.