Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectCase Study: High-Tech Sector
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22328&mesg_id=22340
22340, Case Study: High-Tech Sector
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-09-00 06:13 AM
>I will be completing my undergraduate
>study in two years and
>proceeding to law school....Each day
>I ponder how I will
>nearly be coerced to cut
>my hair to be "accepted"
>in the legal field...

What you need to do is move into the high-tech sector.

It doesn't matter what race you are...it's anything goes. I shave once a week...and I know people with really ugly goofy long hair who are actually rising stars in their respective workplaces. I remember seeing one guy at Nortel with big-ass dreads...

In law, accounting, and some of the downtown financial establishments...they seem to be a million times more anal about appearence...there, you must wear a suit, tie...the whole nine yards. My buddy forgot to shave one night...and his boss actually mentioned...hey buddy...did you lose your razor this morning.

>So I ask...Do you think the
>"face" of the corporate world
>bears the ability to change
>within the next 5 to
>10 years??

I think the high-tech sector is causing things to change a lot...where I work, the only person I've seen in a shirt and tie was the executive vice president of my division...the only time ANYONE (i.e. directors, VPs, managers, collegues) in my company has ever worn a suit is for the Christmas party.

And yes, I saw someone from upper management with his hair in a pony-tail...wearing jeans and a Hawaiian shirt in this one meeting...looking like he just crawled out of bed.

I think the whole "business casual" concept is really starting to change the way people dress and even look in the corporate world...times are changing if you ask me.

Sean.

Sean Flynn - longtime poster of rec.music.hip-hop
http://www.sandboxmassive.com - Updated Rarely
Resident of Ottawa, Ontario (located in Canada for the geographically challenged)