Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectfew comments
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22172&mesg_id=22185
22185, few comments
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-18-00 04:44 AM
I just want to clairfy something.

>The reason the ethnic concentration
>was such is because opressed
>for centuries, they had not
>the community infrastructure or any
>advantages of other groups to
>advance themselves in the mainstream
>path of success.

Ethnic concentration exists because of past laws regarding racial covenants. Blacks were forced into certain areas of cities. This was the same for other minorities as well. Forcing communities into these areas was unjust but it did not create ghettoes. This was not because blacks lacked infrastructure or qualified community leaders. Before the movement toward integration, these communites were in some ways better off because you had blacks of all classes living together. Which meant you had professionals living around working class people. The reason these communities were not allowed to thrive was because of laws that segregated us and disallowed investment inot our communities. Banks and businesses shied away from any community with people of color. That is what initially brought us down. The second wave came after the movement towards integration. As professional blacks moved out of black neighborhoods, these communities lost their economic base.

>I know I can be excessively
>forceful in my opinion sometimes,
>but I mean no offense

Don't apologize girl, we're all learning.

This life is temporary but the soul is eternal, separate the real from the lie, let me learn you. --Mos Def