Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject#1.Discussion of Assata p.1-140
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22172&mesg_id=22172
22172, #1.Discussion of Assata p.1-140
Posted by nappiness, Tue Aug-15-00 01:56 PM
Wassup ya'll
I really don't have questions I just got my thoughts on the first 140 pages of the book. I've read the book more than once but this time i approached it a little different. Instead of reading it for the purposes of school I chose to read it as a book of fiction.
I'll throw out some topics that related to the book give my view and ya'll can throw in yo two cent. Just write, u don't neccesarily have to do the cut/paste/insert thingy. Let's discuss not answer questions like we are in school. I don't profess no authority on any of the books we read i just try to offer some food for thought.
So here ya go:
-Book Format
I really liked how the book was put together, usually I hate flashback books but I thought it was effective to use the courtcases, life story, courtcases, life story format(every other chapter).
-Upbringing
the first thing that struck me was the contradictions of her grandmother. on one hand her grandmother enforced the walk with yo head up-don't let anyone sell u inferior goods, but on the other hand she said marry a man with good hair.
-Education
i am anti brown v. board of education and i think it was an insult to black educators implying that we couldn't educate our own kids and that even w/the same resources seperate could not be equal. "of course our school was segregated, but the teachers took more of an interest in our lives becuase they lived in our world".p.29
-White folks patronizing
when she talked about the "little nigga grin" p.32, i could only chuckle. it reminded me of the looks the uncomfortable, i am scared of you, look white students use to give me on the university of iowa campus. the funny thing was how offended they would be when i would frown, clutched my purse close to my body (as if they were going to rob me), or outright ignore their "supposedley" kind gesture.
-Jews
do you consider jews, white?
-Black women in prison and the inequalities in their convictions vs. white women.
the women stories show that the prison industrial complex and the injustice towards Blacks has gotten progressively worse over the years.
-13th Amendment
the break down of the 13th amendment, p.64, did ya'll know slavery was still legal?
-Jury Duty
her courtcases exemplifies the importance of Black folks taking jury duty seriously. "most of the black folk excused themselves on the grounds of hardship"p.67.
-Revolutionaries gentle side
"And when i read Siddhartha a peace came over me. i felt a unity with all things living. the world, in spite of oppresion, is a beautiful place..... i was in communion with all the revolutionary forces on the earth" p.17 no comment i just really like this.
-The birth of her daughter
Through all of the madness there came new life.
"Love is contraband in Hell"p.130 (touching peom)
-Relationships in the book
Okay one more thing, I enjoyed the relationship btwn. her and Evelyn her aunt. and i liked her new fond appreciation for her mother once she began tutoring the kids.

PART II, end of the book discussion (pgs.141-247)on Aug. 30th?
What book ya'll wanna read for September. Hey, I suggest we do fiction. How bout let's read our very own okayplayer's book, Move Over Girl by Brian Peterson. B is the okayplayer that is working on the okaybooks site.
--------sig-----------
"If you are an asshole keep your thoughts to yourself"
"If your intent is to hurt someone else's feelings for the sake of making yo'self look like a 'supastar', rethink your intent."
Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"To thy ownself be true"
Ms. Nappiness