Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: natives/hispanics
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22123&mesg_id=22125
22125, RE: natives/hispanics
Posted by guest, Tue Aug-15-00 05:07 AM
Im not the expert on this.. so this is just my opinion.. if any link it would be that Hispanics/Latinos should be recognized as descendants of Native Americans... cuz it would be incorect to call them natives, just as i feel it would be incorrect to call Black Americans african, because culturally we are not..we are american, as much as i hate to admit it..anyway, i can understand your distress though, cuz unlike people of african origin/descent, there isnt a broad term to group Natives and Hispanics/Latinos under.. there is no yellow or red, for our Black.. and i think many Latinos will be unwilling to accept that because many are so proud of their nationality ( look at beef between dominicans and puerto ricans), on top of the reluctance of many Latinos to accept their indeigenous roots.. in many placed the worst thing that you can be called in an indian, because of your features or skin tone... so i dont know.. that same complex occurs all over in the black community as well...forgive me for using the Black analogy but its all that i really know...but thanks for addressing that cuz its something that never crossed my mind..peace...