Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Create your own leader here:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22062&mesg_id=22077
22077, RE: Create your own leader here:
Posted by k_orr, Mon Aug-14-00 12:24 PM
Are we talking about candidates?

>What would be his/her qualities?

Someone who is willing to lose an election because of their principals. It would have been tight if Colin Powell would get nominated by the Republicans, and then got in office and left the Republican party. Use the organization as a vehicle to get into power, and then use your 4 years to make some serious change.

>What would be his/her stance on
>relevant issues like the

Economy - more development of capital, education, and poor regions. I would try and make it more economically feasible for companies to locate heavy low-skill type industries in America as opposed to Mexico, or other places. But I would start something like MITI. The Japanese have an entire industrial espionage/information gathering arm of the government. I would try to do that here. I do not know how I could improve the patent system though. And the copywright stuff is worrisome.

race - I don't know if a President can really address it. But I would do things on the low. I would appoint the right federal judges, staff my cabinet with folks who can handle some business. See if I have the authority to really fire some bureaucrats. But that having been said, I have worked for the IRS who is horribly inefficient. I don't know what it would take to decrease the bloat though.

abortion -> I would give the 10% of OB/Gyn's a tax credit for performing a legal service. I would make it a federal crime to assault these doctors.

>the death penalty - You can't eliminate the Fed death penalty cause it's in the constitution for those that commit treason. But I would have a hardcore review of every single Fed. Death penalty case. In terms of the states, I would finagle congress to w.draw funding for state dept of corrections that permit the death penalty.

>/globalization - Presidential mandate to teach all children at least one additional language, and I would encourage them to go abroad for a year before college in order to become fluent. I think Australia has something along those lines.

/the prison industry, -> are we talking about private citizens using prison labor? It's a hard one. If an American company wants work done, I would prefer to see it on our soil rather than in another country. I would set up a condition that if a company wanted to do business in jail, they would have to hire the person once they were released from jail.

>After you list these qualities, think
>to yourself if the current
>candidates for the presidency echo
>your own personal desires in
>a leader.

I know Bush and Gore aren't interested. I doubt Buchanan and Nader are thinking the same things too.

peace
k. orr