Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Create your own leader here:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22062&mesg_id=22064
22064, RE: Create your own leader here:
Posted by Ailyha, Sat Aug-12-00 06:17 AM
>
>What would be his/her qualities?
>What would be his/her stance on
>relevant issues like the economy/race
>relations/abortion/the death penalty/globalization/the prison industry,
>etc.
>
I'm kind of overwhelmed b/c at times, I seriously believe I don't know what a leader is b/c we are continually given "leaders" who don't necessarily represent us.
To me, a leader is not exclusively down for one cause and just shafts another group but I find that kind of contradictory b/c I would rather have someone in power who stands for something and is firm in that belief.
To me, this semi-perfect leader believes in women's right, no death penalty (because it doesn't solve anything), down for public education and up for divulging more money into it. Better teacher training and better pay in some areas in this country. A leader will acknowledge that there some race representation issues in certain political arenas (Congress, locally) and will begin encouraging "minorities" (I hate that word, somebody give me another) to raise up and earn their political power and represent their communities.
A good leader will say enuf to buliding more prisons (as if we need anymore), let's try to rehabilitate some of these fools and find different alternatives to petty criminals. THere should also be a cut or a reduction in some of these government agencies that are irrelevant or unnecessary these days. I can't think of anything off the bat b/c i'm overwhelmed by this post.
I want a leader who is down for welfare and understand that some people cannot live off of this and maybe there should be some assitance tohelp get people off of the system. I totally respect welfare in all of its degrees but there has to be better regulation in this. The welfare system has to be monitored better.
I want a leader who is open-minded and willing to compromise. There are more important issues to battle besides making laws banning same sex marriages and oral sex. I also want a leader who doesn't get in the mix of relgiious law (look out Catholic Church). Religion should be a personal choice and if there's a school of 99 Christians and 1 Muslim, he/she should dismiss his/herself during prayer. It's not that big a deal! People tend to blow things out of proportion and take ish personally. If certain things do not conform to his/her beliefs then don't take part and don't take it as a personal shaft. I don't agree with prayer in schools, b/c our kids are not their to get their righteousness fix for the day, they are there to get an education.

Basically, I just want a leader who is open-minded, strong, up for criticism, and about the business. And his/her personal life shouldn't affect his sense of leadership. I guess I want a leader that thinks like me, which is totally idealistic...Does this person exist?

>After you list these qualities, think
>to yourself if the current
>candidates for the presidency echo
>your own personal desires in
>a leader.

Maybe not, but I'm pretty sure whoever puts more money into his campaign (Bush) will win. Did I mention that I"m afraid that Bush will win?? More money, more power. It's definitely the good ol boy system at work.
>
Peace
A
"If I ever see you walking, I wouldn't know what to say,...hey you..." Groove Theory song...

"It's nation time!" -- Leroi Jones AKA Amiri Baraka

"You do me so wrong...you love me so right..." Groove theory song, again...

"Tickle his ass or something..." Chris Rock

"If I knew you were coming, I would have opened my doors and swept the wind beneath my kisses...you blow me away with your love that is so right and so light in my heart...I feel the shutters and the flutters of its beat, beat, beating, rushing me with heat..."
Me, damnit, just a peek at my poetry