Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectkeeping it short..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=22010&mesg_id=22046
22046, keeping it short..
Posted by mke, Wed Aug-30-00 10:57 PM
A few points made me laugh.
I agreed with some others.
I disagreed with most (you just seem to me to condone the current state of the world and be happy with it, whereas I am not. Maybe you're right and I'm wrong.).

Just one point, because we haven't discussed it to the point of boredom yet.

I said:
My freedom to shoot you in the street was taken away, but everyone's freedom to live was enhanced.

You replied:
A loss of personal freedom is still a loss. There is a greater good gained.

A society where people are free to shoot each other is a society where individuals can do nothing more than attempt to survive. They can't work together, 'cos of constant risk of getting shot.
Outlaw this, and every individual gains the freedom to live. Perhaps something is lost (I don't really think so, but you're American, maybe you wish you were able to shoot people down?:-)), but so much more is gained by every individual. It's not even about "greater good", every individual's life is enhanced.
And BTW, to have "total" freedom, you have to have one rule: "There are no other rules".
And with that, I'm giving up this thread, as I said before, especially as my partner in crime seems to have left as well.

AIM: mke1978

"L'actualité régionale: c'est vous qui la vivez, c'est nous qui en vivons"
In English:
"Local news: you live it, we live off it"
- Jules-Edouard Moustic, 20H20

"There's no blood in my body/It's liquid soul in my veins"
- Roots Manuva (check the fantastic album "Brand New Second Hand")