Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThe quantum physics thang...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21933&mesg_id=21962
21962, The quantum physics thang...
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-17-00 12:51 PM
It's gonna take me some time to answer the questions you just posed. I got a chance to peep a small quote about memory in a book entitled "The Dreaming Universe". Like the title states, it's more about dreams than memory, but they are interrelated. See if you can draw any conclusions (or questions) from this:

"Our brains and neural-network models of our brains operate associatively. Events in one part of the net stimulate the rest of the net to reproduce a particular pattern. This results in a recall of a memory that was created in the first place by the plasticity of the connections in the interconnecting matrix.

However, these nets operate causally: the neuronal units of the net are interconnected through a matrix that will respond in time, i.e., given enough time. Thus a change of value in one neuron will be sent over the connecting matrix to the other neurons, ultimately causing them to change values, after a while. All of this happens over time as the network "interrogates itself" over several cycles in attempting to reconstruct the whole truth from a piece of the truth. This would explain the normal sense of a time delay as we attempt to remember some event based on another associative event.

Quantum mechanical nets, if they are ever simulated with a computer, will operate differently. Neurons throughout the net will not be connected by anything like wires or a mathematical connecting matrix. Nor will they have definite values. Instead they will be "quantum physically corelated," and each will be in an indefinite state. As a result of any one neuron's taking on a definite value, the other neurons in the net will instantaneously take on values as if the connection between them were superluminal. The result of this "beyond time" interconnection produces a range of "popping-on" neurons acting simultaneously, giving rise, I believe, to a distributed "sense of presence" that I label as the self.

Thus, in the model I propose, the dreaming brain is capable of correlating events ocurring elsewhere and "in here." Normally the awake brain does the same thing, but the overwhelming "out there" data swamps any hope of correlating the "in here" events with such events as those that will occur in the future or those that are occuring out of normal causal range. But the dreaming brain is shut off from the overwhelming causal data field of the outside world. Thus it would seem that it could on occasion "read" events that would be considered paranormal. It would not read this data as unusual any more than your awake brain reads the rustling of a tree or a birds flight as unusual.

But for this to happen there would have to be some previous event that set up the quantum state of correlation or, as some physicists have discovered, some event in the future that will correlate the events in question. Given that this correlation mechanism can generate a correlation of events in the past or the future, it would at least appear that the same machanism that explains the rise of the self also explains psychic or telepathic dreaming. All that is necessary is that something happened in the past or that something will actually happen in the future that involves the dreamers brain and the outside world."

Whew...

enjoy!