Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectExtascy,Nyquil,hip hop,&blacks: just don't mix..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21869
21869, Extascy,Nyquil,hip hop,&blacks: just don't mix..
Posted by colourboy, Mon Aug-21-00 03:06 AM
whats the deal with emcees and magazines pumpin up ex like its the best thing to hit since Krs diss Mc Sham. Man for one half the cats out their don't know what it does to the body. So for ex, now cats are just being put on to dope or popping pills. Because thats what ex is isn't? Are we embarking on a new age of junkies? And, also not that I condone the use of drugs or whatever, but this ex is starting to take over the sales and postion of weed. Weed? Another thing is I think some emcees are losing things to say and common sense. Because it has come to the point where you got heads wit baby bottles drinking cough syrup and sprite to get high. Cough syrup? Whats the deal with that. To also say mag's are pumping this up and like "yeah this is the new hip hop drug or crave". If I'm not mistaken when was drugs apart of hip hop? As we all know in the black community we have enough drugs we don't need anymore and why is hip hop pumping this up. Express ya self and tell me.
21870, X
Posted by guest, Sat Aug-26-00 04:15 PM
that isht is wack. I used to give so much props to the qualities of x. and after more research I realized what damage that ish can do. its sad that happiness in a pill is all the craze. a good web site is www.ecstasy.org or www.clubdrugs.com Check it out
21871, ACTUALLY...
Posted by guest, Mon Aug-28-00 05:26 AM
The jury is still out on the long term effects of "E".

But what is known is that the damage is alot less that most drug taken today, including weed.

The only thing that is certain is that it is not addictive. That is a very good thing in comparsion to the other drugs out there.

Also, the only people that have died from it are people who kill themselves in car crashes while still high.

Other have gotten extremely close becuase of the dehydration that the "E" can cause.

There is an informative, scientifally based (for the most part) article in TIME magazine back in June (I don't remember the week.)

Check it out.
Carry On.

********************************************************************************

BLACK_ENGINEER

Why you got-ta, act like, nigga, all the time? (C) Common

I hate being cheap, but I hate being broke more. - Fire

21872, RE: ACTUALLY...
Posted by guest, Mon Aug-28-00 06:53 AM
>But what is known is that
>the damage is alot less
>that most drug taken today,
>including weed.
>
high doses of ecstasy (comprable to human use of regular amounts (1pill/week)) in animal laboratory testing has shown depleted levels of serotonin ("happiness" hormone) in the brain, which leads researchers to believe that the same might hold true for humans after longer periods of use.

also, from experience i may state that i have never had a three- day state of depression after smoking a joint, ecstasy fucked up my routine & behavior significantly for a period of time after use.

>The only thing that is certain
>is that it is not
>addictive. That is a
>very good thing in comparsion
>to the other drugs out
>there.

here, it is important to differentiate between types of addiction. yes, the drug is not physically addictive to your body (you will not crave this like some rocks), however the mental lure of the drug and its effects have been powerful enough to make many users try "x" again, and again, and,....... every friend of mine who has tried E, has done it repeatedly, and those who haven't, admit they would do it again if the opportunity arose. Happiness in a pill...? Don't tell me that doesn't sound good. And once you have tried it, it is hard to deny that the possibility for a degree of mental addiction is not there.

>Also, the only people that have
>died from it are people
>who kill themselves in car
>crashes while still high.

The leading cause of deaths from ecstasy is not something that the drug itself has... (ecastasy is considered to have a toxicity level similar to acid, as in, it would take thousands of doses to actually die from the drugs contents.)however, it is the sale of other drugs sold under the catch-all name of the hottest new drug "ecstasy." that pill you have just bought could be anything from caffeine, to ketamine, to DXM, to PMA, the latter two which have the capability of causing death.

>Other have gotten extremely close becuase
>of the dehydration that the
>"E" can cause.

>There is an informative, scientifally based
>(for the most part) article
>in TIME magazine back in
>June (I don't remember the
>week.)

other good sources for MDMA information include: www.dancesafe.org www.erowid.org www.bluelight.nu

for now,
matt.
21873, RE: ACTUALLY...
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 01:38 AM
I mean are you serious, it does lot less damage so its better? Thats dumb, ex kills the depression mode in ya brain. the long term effects are permanent brain damage or just death man. REcognize
21874, It's like Soma. n/m
Posted by Blackmagicallydelicious, Mon Aug-28-00 07:07 AM
President and Founder of the No Booty Coalition (NBC) where our motto is "What we lack in ass, we make up for in heart (and breasts and thighs, etc.)".
To become a sponsor or member, call 1-888-5NoBoCo
Giving you no booty since 1977.

August is Top Ten Month, huh? Okay...
Top Ten Reasons Why Leos Are the Isht:

10) We look good.
9) We are intelligent.
8) We look good.
7) We are fun as hell to be around.
6) We look good.
5) We can be annoying, but you'll still love us. ;-)
4) We look good.
3) We are some creative mofos.
2) We look good.
1) We are some humble, yet honest people.

"Does the size of your signature reflect your cup size?"--bfnh

"Bush proves that he is a man who will best serve the people...their last meal."--Jon Stewart

"Put some clothes on! You're lowering my property value!"--guy from work to his neighbor.

"While you sittin' over there drinkin' that Snapple/You need to put your head between my thighs and start bobbin' for apples."--Brown Skin Lady to Naps

"We see through your voodoo, just like Eve's Bayou, you dealing with the Blackmagic..." Talib Kweli

do damage for damage be
unpredictable with map and compass
& weapons pressed against the cheek
--Sun Rise Missions, from Earthquakes and Sun Rise Missions by Haki R. Madhubuti.

Pick it up at your local black-owned bookstore today!

blackmagicallydelicious@yahoo.com
21875, i had to
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Aug-28-00 09:36 AM
chill and digest what you posted....

thats deep like a river, sis

talk about your paradigm shifts....
21876, Well...
Posted by HotThyng76, Mon Aug-28-00 08:35 AM
Why are rappers pumping it? It could be that they're doing it to seem "hip". Some of them praise it in rhymes and claim in interviews that they've never used it (Bone Thugs). But rappers praise all kinds of fucked up shit in rhymes (killing folks, beating women, etc.).

I will say that I myself use E on a semi-regular basis - about once or twice a month on a weekend. I have read everything I can get my hands on pertaining to the drug and the most current research is still inconclusive. It effects everybody differently. All the deaths associated w/E also had other contributing factors (dehydration, poly-drug use, or straight up overdosing by taking 8 or more pills at once.). If used responsibly, E will not kill you. As for myself, I have noticed that it sometimes causes depression 1 or 2 days after I use it, but that's only happened to me twice out of the 10 or so times I've used it. I'm very careful about where I get it, and I've never come across any bad shit yet.

------
Speaker of the House, MWS (Man-Whore Society)

IS SEPTEMBER JAMES BROWN QUOTE MONTH?, it is over here...

"Hot pants make you sure of yourself/You walk like you got the only lovin' left"..."A woman got to use what she got to get just what she wants/HOT PANTS!"...James Brown, "Hot Pants" (1971)

21877, RE: Well...
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 01:46 AM
what.. e will not kill you? If you do it responsibly? thats like idiots that say if you drink in moderation its good for you. Either way the shit is still going to kill you and you still have an addiction to the drug. Even if you take it once or twice a week. Still when every month comes around I gurantee you won't forget to do that ex. And when you do so that means you have a addiction sweetie. Just because test or whatever can't or don't tell you the truth about the drug doesn't mean you keep doing it until they find out. Because by time they tell you, you'll already be a junkie to it. Takin ex is like you sayin you takin dope foreal.
21878, Um...
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Aug-30-00 07:58 AM
>what.. e will not kill you?
>If you do it responsibly?
>thats like idiots that say
>if you drink in moderation
>its good for you.

Studies have shown that small amounts of alcohol ARE good for you. Not everybody is an alcoholic, some ppl can have just one drink every now and then, and drinking in that manner is good for your health.

Studies have also shown that it takes LARGE amounts of MDMA to kill a human. That's what I was getting at.

Either
>way the shit is still
>going to kill you and
>you still have an addiction
>to the drug. Even if
>you take it once or
>twice a week.

Yes, E can be psychologically addictive. Meaning you can get accustomed to taking it in certain situations if you do so repeatedly. But even THAT doesn't happen to everybody.

Still when
>every month comes around I
>gurantee you won't forget to
>do that ex.

I take it or leave it as it comes. I'm not out there walking the streets looking for it.

And when
>you do so that means
>you have a addiction sweetie.

See above, darling.

>Just because test or whatever
>can't or don't tell you
>the truth about the drug
>doesn't mean you keep doing
>it until they find out.

What?

>Because by time they tell
>you, you'll already be a
>junkie to it. Takin ex
>is like you sayin you
>takin dope foreal.

MDMA is nothing like heroin (I assume that's the "dope" you're talking about). Heroin is HIGHLY physically addictive. H addicts can't function w/o the drug. E is totally different.

Do your homework before you try to read me on this subject, cuz I've done mine, player.

21879, re:
Posted by fabulous, Mon Aug-28-00 08:47 AM
if we're hearing about weed or ecstasy or sizzurp or any other drug being pumped up in rap & in hip-hop, that simply means there are a sizable number of people partaking of it outside of hip-hop. while it is true that some headz might hear about something for the first time b/c of what they hear on a track, other people were messin round with stuff before a emcee decides to drop some lyrics about it.

just goes with the territory. art imitating life or something like that....

- the fabulous one
this fabulous post is brought to you by the numbers:

516 - days since okayplayer.com came online (i think)
270 - days until the 2001 okayplayer reunion (5/25-28/01)
88 - days the fab one been creepin around this website

the e-mail: twentysixfab@hotmail.com
the IM screen name (AOL/MSN): twentysixfab
21880, RE: re:
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 01:54 AM
true, but not exactly because hip hop is a very influencing art as we all know. And, now a days alot of people are heedin what people are sayin out there mouth. Especially if its somethin catchy or different. And alot of people don't take responsibilty to what they say especially as emcees. Not sayin everyone should speak positive or not speak their mind. But what alot i think fail to realize is that they have this amazing power to put a message out to millions of people everyday is precious and delicate thing and it effects everyone. but any way that was totally off topic, back to the situation. I don't think no one saw anyone drinkin cough syrup around the way foreal. I think they just sat home and started mixin shit together, saw that they got a little buzz and a new gimmick. But far as ex and weed or whatever yeah they are and were around the way and just spoken more of when heads got on mics.
21881, speaking from
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Aug-28-00 09:42 AM
nuff experience with all types of chemicals, i can say that E, while temporaryily nice, will fuck you up directly after that touchy feely high...I was moody to begin w/ and then after I tried it, I was like hella angry and down for days, and I could not figure out why...then I say Human Traffic and was like 'oh.' just like with anything, E/Acid/Urb etc etc one should partake only after doing some heavy thinking on why and does one really want to get into dope like that...

most of the time a little quiet and some Chaka Khan will produce the same affect

I really think that the music is influencing the youth to partake of it...I remember when I first heard of a blunt was like 92, no one knew what the hell those things were but everyone wanted to try it (hey, i lived in HTown, what do you expect) nowadays, with all the rappers talkin about E, I guarantee you its about to blow...& the fucked up thing is that its the teensagers and kids who are leats equipped to deal w/ its effects that will get into it the hardest....

sigh

now I wanna smoke...

and for the record (remember I'm from Houston, the original land of syrup sippers) Syrup has been around for fucking ever, the original "cheap high" its just getting pub now....

21882, RE: speaking from
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 02:02 AM
I feel you on both side of what you was sayin'. Especially the last paragraph about the influcing of people and certain things about to blow. yeah i think ex will blow up into that new thing to do takin out the place of weed and alot of other things. Its sad to see that it looks like they tryin to make a new age of junkies or something and heads just follow the lead. some follow not knowin what it is they even takin, but just doing because in the songs they here its repeatly said and it sticks to the brain. I still know cats that think weed is a vegetable.
But anyway there talkin about some crazy stuff. I know one thing if they started pumpin up homosexuality, then its time for me to turn off the hip hop and just listen to techno.
21883, i hear that!!
Posted by Binlahab, Wed Aug-30-00 02:36 AM
word....more dope, no same sex shenanaigans
21884, You're hitting me where I live.
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Aug-30-00 08:02 AM
(I'm gay and I smoke lots of weed)

E will never blow up like marijuana. Why? Because you can't go about your everyday life while under the influence of E. You can function normally while stoned, however.

21885, RE: You're hitting me where I live.
Posted by colourboy, Thu Aug-31-00 03:43 AM
I sorry if i offended you and your sexuality of choice. If I did please forgive me. Thats just how i feel about that situation if it had came about. So please forgive me on that note.
21886, Drugs and Hip Hop
Posted by murph25, Mon Aug-28-00 12:36 PM
Well, MCs have been making drug references since Melle Mel recorded "White Lines" (maybe before that). And, there's always been this paradox of rappers glorifying and condemning drug use in the same breath. Seems the only major change is what drugs are being hyped.

Neither cough syrup nor E are that new. They've been around at least 10 years as recreational drugs for young people. Personally, I question the safety of any pill like E because you don't know what you're getting. If its quality ecstacy, you're probably not in serious danger unless you overdo it. But, dealers are shady, and you can't assume that you know exactly what you're putting in your body. I'd much rather see kids get into smoking pot than popping pills - that's a realm of drug use that gets real scary real quick.

But, as others have said, it isn't really the MCs that have created the drug use. They are reacting to it. It would be nice if their reaction were a little more constructive than just advertising the positive fun side of these substances, though.

peace,
murph
21887, Agreed.
Posted by guest, Tue Aug-29-00 03:25 AM

>Personally, I question
>the safety of any pill
>like E because you don't
>know what you're getting.
>If its quality ecstacy, you're
>probably not in serious danger
>unless you overdo it.
>But, dealers are shady, and
>you can't assume that you
>know exactly what you're putting
>in your body.

Though I still say that "E" is pretty much the safest drug out there, that is assuming that it is actually the "E". There have been numerous cases of people who thought they were taking "E", when they were really taking something else and that is scary.

Carry On.

********************************************************************************

BLACK_ENGINEER

21888, RE: Agreed.
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 02:05 AM
Naw fam i don't feel that ex or any other drug is a safe drug. exstacy is dope basically. kids is takin dope you mind as well say.But nah man no drug is safe
21889, Is your opinion based on Facts?
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-30-00 04:26 AM
Or are you just chimin in to be heard?

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21890, ... One... two
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 05:26 AM
i mean thats common sense to know that not any drug is safe and ex is damn not and far from ever being safe. Do you get it ex is dope, people are popping pills. If you actually think ex is safe then you must be on it right now.
21891, Get some FACTS, man!!!
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Aug-30-00 08:06 AM
I applaud your "anti-drug" stance. Drugs are not for everybody. You don't like them for you so stay away.

But don't go spreading false info on them, either. E is NOT "dope". Heroin and MDMA are very very very different chemicals. Wanna read about them? Go to http://www.erowid.org

Stop believing that Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" bullshit hype.

21892, I concur
Posted by annastesia, Wed Aug-30-00 09:56 AM
I have taken all types of drugs in my lifetime, and now all I do is crumble herb and drink occasionally. I wouldn't consider myself a dope fiend who is also an alcoholic.

Drugs are not a black and white issue. Some ARE worse than others. If you read the link HotThyng gave you, you will see one view of E. Anything you do in excess will eventually harm you.

-TC

"If there's anything I can say, to help you find your way
Touch your soul, make it whole, the same for you and I..
There's not a minute that goes by that I don't believe
that you die.. but I can feel it in the wind
The beginning or the end
But people keep your head to the sky." - Cee-Lo
21893, RE: Get some FACTS, man!!!
Posted by colourboy, Wed Aug-30-00 11:06 AM
First off i know ex isn't dope. But still the way you do it, you mind as well say your are. Its poppin pills isn't. I got my info and facts, you just condone the use of drugs and thats the problem you have to deal with.
21894, Not worth getting into.
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Aug-30-00 12:14 PM
We obviously disagree on this and there's no use in getting all personal about it.

You see my condoning of drugs as a problem, I see your miseducation about drugs as a problem.

C'est la vie.

21895, Well said n/m
Posted by janey, Wed Aug-30-00 12:24 PM
Peace.
21896, Urban legends and the like.
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Aug-30-00 12:28 PM
I hate it when ppl spread info they got through urban legends.

Why are folks afraid of truth?

21897, RE: Drugs and Hip Hop
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 03:25 AM
Just a pointer :

over here smoking a draw does not equate good shit; if fact what are we talking about - most popular draws in the market are produced via chemists - check out amsterdam. In as much as i would like to believe you in your choice in smoking pot, over here you do not know what the draw is made up of, or what added stuff it contains - most commercial street dealers find it profitable to lace the shit with cocaine. Hey ! that's the type of executive decision that was once upon a time made by Coca Cola...
xala.
21898, RE: Drugs and Hip Hop
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 03:25 AM
Just a pointer :

over here smoking a draw does not equate good shit; if fact what are we talking about - most popular draws in the market are produced via chemists - check out amsterdam. In as much as i would like to believe you in your choice in smoking pot, over here you do not know what the draw is made up of, or what added stuff it contains - most commercial street dealers find it profitable to lace the shit with cocaine. Hey ! that's the type of executive decision that was once upon a time made by Coca Cola...
xala.
21899, Just for the record...
Posted by murph25, Thu Aug-31-00 11:15 AM
I don't smoke pot. And my post was meant to suggest that given the choice, I think young folks are safer smoking bud than taking Ecstacy. Most young people (age 16-21) experiment with drugs. If the drug of choice becomes E, that worries me. Marijuana, being a plant that grows naturally, has fewer dangers than MDMA, which is a man-made chemical.

As for pot being laced, I haven't seen much of that in my experiences. Most pot sold in the U.S. is actual bud. In Europe, I know a lot of people smoke weed in the form of hash. It seems more likely that hash might be cut with something. I know I would be suspicious of hash bought from a stranger. As for cutting it with coke, I'm not convinced. How is that profitable for a dealer? Coke is way more expensive than weed, right?

peace,
murph

21900, This natural vs. man-made stuff...
Posted by HotThyng76, Fri Sep-01-00 05:24 AM
Marijuana, being a plant
>that grows naturally, has fewer
>dangers than MDMA, which is
>a man-made chemical.

The fact that mj grows naturally is NOT a good reason to argue for it's safety vs. MDMA. First off, there are several things growing from the earth that are bad for human consumption (poisonous plants, pork, etc.). Also, mj has to be processed/dried before it's smoked - so it's not quite as "natural" as it's made out to be. It's not like you pick it from a garden and roll it right into a blunt. 2nd, MDMA is synthesized from from sassafras oil (from a tree). So, it too grows from the ground, so to speak.

Just saying...

21901, Ecstasy is shit
Posted by Genius, Wed Aug-30-00 11:38 AM
X, most of the time is everything but MDMA. If you are taking that shit, you better make it yourself and know that it is in fact MDMA. Street X is crap and WILL kill you. Its is usually laced with coke, speed, heroin, poison, and anything else under the sun. Sounds like fun!! Where can I get my hands on some??!! Please. Rappers are pumping it up for the same reason they pumped up weed in the early 90's, it sells records. Who knows if they are even telling the truth about what they do. X is a waste of time and money. Why don't you just play russian roulette with a gun instead of a pill? Its a faster death.
21902, *sigh*
Posted by HotThyng76, Wed Aug-30-00 12:20 PM
Its is
>usually laced with coke, speed,
>heroin, poison, and anything else
>under the sun.

WRONG!! If anything, pills sold as Ecstacy are laced with caffeine, speed, PMA (a chemical that mimics the effects of MDMA but can be more dangerous) or DXM (a chemical available in some cough syrups). They don't lace it with heroin or coke b/c those are very expensive drugs and nobody is gonna waste good coke or heroin by putting it in an E pill. (Coke & heroin can't be ingested by the body through your stomach, btw. If there was coke or heroin in a pill, you'd never feel the effects.) They don't lace them w/poison b/c that leads to murder charges. Drug dealers fear that shit.

People...there's nothing wrong with being against the use of drugs (obviously), but most of you who feel this way about them have been miseducated on the subject by the DARE programs in schools or whatever. Don't believe the hype and don't go spreading your miseducation around.

21903, Keep sighing
Posted by Genius, Wed Aug-30-00 12:43 PM
I don't believe that propaganda either "Hot Thyng". That shit I said is all true. What, are you a doctor now too? Don't tell me what its laced with and isn't laced with, I know. Read any issue of High Times (a pro-drug) magazine and they will tell you to watch out for X with brown specks in it because it is HEROIN!!! Sheesh. Why are you trying to tell people to do something that may kill them? This isn't like "hey man you should go smoke a joint." Its X, and to someone who doesn't know anything about drugs, their life could be in danger. Also, since when do drug dealers care if people die or not? That is a good one. So now you're saying drug dealers are respectable people? I don't know man, first George Michael and now X. I give you the thumbs down. :(
21904, you didn't he a word he said.
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 03:49 AM
1. Heroin and cocaine in pure form is MORE expensive than "E".

If you were jeweler, trying to save money would you mix the gold you were making your jewelery with platinum?

2. Cocaine and Herion are not metabolized well in the stomache. There is a reason junkies go through the trouble of shooting it directly into the blood stream.

3. Reputable dealers, (this is any drug, weed, "E" to Coke, etc.) only deal with pure product becuase they want repeat customers. If a dealer is primarily selling at a RAVE event, if he sell bad stuff, you can guanantee that no one will buy from this person again. Business is business.

4. If all else fails to convince you, check the stats...most "E" is pure. Some is not, no doubt that that SCARES me, but most of it is pure.

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21905, RE: you didn't he a word he said.
Posted by Genius, Thu Aug-31-00 04:05 AM
Black Engineer, I'm sorry, I wish you were right. This is not 1975 at Studio 54. There is no such thing as pure MDMA now. It is very rare. I think you need to do some research before you start talking about how drugs can be ingested and what drug dealers do. Drug dealers are not trustworthy. Why are you looking up to them like they are helping society? Cocaine can be absorbed in the stomach as well as heroin. ITs just less potent of a high, that's why people shoot it, not because it is the only way. Stop defending a drug that kills people. :(
21906, In no way was I defending drugs that kill.
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 05:02 AM
Stop defending a
>drug that kills people.
>:(

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21907, RE: you didn't he a word he said.
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 05:07 AM
> I think you
>need to do some research
>before you start talking about
>how drugs can be ingested
>and what drug dealers do.

I did, But did you? And if so where is it? Abtsracts? News articles? Books? Give me something or hush with the garbage.

> Drug dealers are not
>trustworthy. Why are you
>looking up to them like
>they are helping society?

Far from that....are you insane?!? I do understand how business is done, illegal or not.

>Cocaine can be absorbed in
>the stomach as well as
>heroin.

True indeed. but in such low amounts that it is virtually irrelevent. (If not then all of our Grandparents would be or haven been addicted to coke....we know that this is not true)

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21908, RE: you didn't he a word he said.
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Aug-31-00 05:20 AM
>Black Engineer, I'm sorry, I wish
>you were right. This
>is not 1975 at Studio
>54. There is no
>such thing as pure MDMA
>now. It is very
>rare.

According to the folks at Dancesafe, the authority on testing ecstasy pills to determine their contents, you can find pure MDMA these days. In fact, it seems that pills sold as E most often are pure MDMA. The potency varies depending on the amount of MDMA in the pill. Here are the results of tests they conducted on pills from around the country:
http://www.dancesafe.org/eresults.html

I think you
>need to do some research
>before you start talking about
>how drugs can be ingested
>and what drug dealers do.

Why don't YOU do some research. I've done mine but you refuse to hear me.

> Drug dealers are not
>trustworthy.

Street dealers on the whole are not. Not everybody who sells drugs sells them on the street. But I'm not getting into defending drug dealers.

Why are you
>looking up to them like
>they are helping society?

The guy who sells me herb is doing me a great service. He provides this service to small group of his friends.

>Cocaine can be absorbed in
>the stomach as well as
>heroin. ITs just less
>potent of a high, that's
>why people shoot it, not
>because it is the only
>way.

The folks at Erowid (a great authority for info on chemicals of all types http://www.erowid.org) say you're right about that one. I was mistaken in saying you CAN'T absorb it.

Stop defending a
>drug that kills people.
>:(

Alcohol kills far more ppl everyday. But that's no defense.

21909, I agree
Posted by Genius, Thu Aug-31-00 05:32 AM
I agree with you hot thyng. People who sell herb are not drug dealers to me. These people are helping society. But people who sell pills and other hard drugs for outrageous prices are the ones who should be done away with. Also, I have friends who have had seizures and almost died from taking a normal dose of what was supposed to be Ecstasy. Turns out it was DXM, some harmful chemical that is in cough syrups. This was not due to dancing or dehydration as someone earlier said that its the only way to die from it. It was due to adulterated pills. People follow trends and will sell you aspirin, speed, and anything that even looks like E just to make a profit. They can care less about repeat customers. The places where these drugs are available, such as raves or clubs, means that different people will be there all the time. I'm not saying to not do drugs, but just be careful and don't trust drug dealers. People can eat Ecstasy like tic tacs for all I care, but when you're in the hospital because the shit wasn't MDMA, don't say you haven't been warned.
21910, Be careful
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Aug-31-00 05:54 AM
That was the most important thing you said.

Please refrain from making statements like..."when you're in the hospital because the shit wasn't MDMA, don't say you haven't been warned" because you don't know where I'm getting my pills from. (Not defending myself, but here goes...) It just so happens they come from that same guy who's selling me herb. All his pills are TESTED for purity, so I know what I'm getting everytime.

Unfortunately, most ppl who use E aren't as careful about it as I am. Carelessness can kill.

21911, what a hypocritical crock of shit N/M
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 07:18 AM
>I agree with you hot thyng.
> People who sell herb
>are not drug dealers to
>me.

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21912, I'm assuming that you're refering...
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-30-00 02:44 PM
atleast partially to the article in Vibe about X.
Now, I am certainly not the most innocent young lady out there. I do my share of drinking and smoking weed, but I have always stayed away from anything other than that. However, after I read the article in Vibe I wanted to do X soooo bad. The article seemed to glamorize the drug so much and say that there were virtually no downsides to the drug. I even went so far as to call a few friends to see about getting some. Luckily the people I called clued me in on some of the side/after effects and essentially talked me out of trying X.
The article really pissed me off because it had me really wanting to try a drug that I had been uninterested in since I had first heard about it a year and a half ago. I know that the drug itself is new and there hasn't been too much conclusive research on it, but I hate the fact that it was written in a sort of "well, we don't think it'll kill you, so go right on ahead and roll all you want to" tone. The article could have been more well rounded and I'd venture to say that it may be responcible for some additional use of X in the hip hop community.

"the Pu-tang Clan!?! I loooovveee you guys!" -Hugh Heffner, when he met the RZA at a backstreet boys party
21913, RE: Extascy,Nyquil,hip hop,&blacks: just don't mix..
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 01:28 AM
Well over here it is kinda an old drug really; huge in the mid- eighties and early nineties and a few people made a quick buck in the process.

To some degree the imagery surrounding drugs has always flirted with the music scene; with hip hop it was spliffs; with rave music or trance it was ecstasy or any other chemical produce drug... but that is all by the way.

I think ecstasy has now legitimated itself by entering popular culture; hip-hop been the forerunner of that; however that also will be its downfall as more segments of youth culture high jack its use and imagery. But ironically it is a reflection of our romance with the past - the seventies to be specific; in one way or the other ecstasy has been around for a while.

The problem with youth culture is that it is becoming incredibly mobile and they although still very conservative at heart, are still able to surf in and out of potentially dangerous chemical cliches. In this great struggle to be identified as the other is paramount, a label which for example pushers of hip hop want to abandon; they on the other hand want to sell records to every body; and if ecstasy helps; even just hinting about it - well it's all good basically - that's the way they see it.

So ecstasy is, has been around a long time; ironically an old drug heroin is coming back over here: and there are x amount of conspirator theories of how they are getting in; the fact of the matter is that people to some degree love to get high: even though the benefits are great the causalities are also very high. In some way if hip-hop has bent towards this new cliche; nobody should really be surprised: let's see for how long it can ride this gravy train.

xala
21914, You know what I'm ending this
Posted by colourboy, Thu Aug-31-00 03:41 AM
right now because some people are just like bugging out, so let me say this.

This topic was meant to be a white and black issue, whether or not the drug is harmful or not. Because from what I'm seeing some people use it and are really protecting it and taking up for a DRUG. To me thats amazing. But, I guess people are going to do whatever. For all those heads that condone or tryin to take up for its rep, then you really have a drug problem and you need to get out of denial foreal. I mean truly everyone look over all the posted notes dropped and read them thoroughly and try to understand.

My points and other peoples points where valid others where just somewhere else. No disrespect to anyone, my objective wasn't to diss anyone or offend anyone in what they do in their private life or whatever. Is was to feel your opinions on why are hip hop heads pumping the drug up? And I the point i was aiming for was that we as blacks really don't need another drug in our community. I know ex might not be as hot as in other communities but this will spread. And truly I don't think we want that. The same thing with syzurb or whatever give it time and ish is going to spread like crack and all others. I just fear that moment truly.

Far as having info and who has the most on it or whatever. Thats a poor excuse to just show others that you truly have a drug problem and you need help. To protect ex or any kind of DRUG is just senseless to me. I think alot of people are forgetting what their protecting and thats a substance that kills and it is a drug and drugs do kill regardless of what it is. Thats what thats all about. Not about studies or whatever. Common sense tells you drugs kill.
21915, Then why'd you post?
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Aug-31-00 05:26 AM
If you can't deal w/the fact that some of us are disagreeing with you (b/c we have more info than you), why did you open a DISCUSSION?

Just curious.

21916, RE: Then why'd you post?
Posted by colourboy, Thu Aug-31-00 07:15 AM
what are you talkin about, i did to see how people felt about the issue. And still the info issue is irrelavent. It doesn't matter. Its a drug and it can people. You still fail to realize that sista.
21917, LOL!
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 07:19 AM
> You still fail to
>realize that sista.

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21918, RE: Then why'd you post?
Posted by HotThyng76, Thu Aug-31-00 08:30 AM
Its
>a drug and it can
>people.

I'm assuming you mean KILL ppl...

Cars kill ppl too, but you didn't post about them...

You still fail to
>realize that sista.

You're failing in some realizations too, player. I use "player" cuz it's not gendered.

21919, The bass heightens the effect dramatically. N/M
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 03:53 AM

>To some degree the imagery surrounding
>drugs has always flirted with
>the music scene; with hip
>hop it was spliffs; with
>rave music or trance it
>was ecstasy or any other
>chemical produce drug.

Carry On.

BLACK_ENGINEER

21920, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Posted by fire, Fri Sep-01-00 08:48 AM
sex drugs and rock and roll, it will never go away
With all the hurt you find

Built on Mother Earth
They were meant to stay
Nations bloom today
On gifts of yesterday

Born of the Earth, are nature's children