Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThere Is An Answer...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21664&mesg_id=21686
21686, There Is An Answer...
Posted by guest, Sat Sep-02-00 02:08 PM
And it lies in education. When I say "education," I am not speaking in terms of institutional learning (although I am not mad at my B.A/B.S./M.D/PHD havin' brothas and sistas). It starts with self-awareness and pride, qualities that are (for various reasons) lacking in the black community.

If change is “a-comin’” Young progressives will be at the helm of the movement (as we so often are). Informing the masses will be at the top of the agenda. Our music will have to reflect a new way of thinking. Gone will be the days of “Back That Azz Up” “Nygga- this” and “Bytch-that”. Neighborhoods will begin to transform into the communal environments that our African ancestors thrived in (where violence/self-interest was frowned upon)…

This may sound far-fetched but many young sistas and brothas are coming to the realization that if our downward spiral continues at it’s current pace…who knows? It’s about taking our communities back by the reins and educating our people like never before. It will be a grass-roots effort but I believe that it can be achieved…

"We live the now for the promise of the infinite" --Mos Def

"I'm tryin' to soar to altitudes unknown to man, woman or the most agile of birds"