Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectan opinion... as misinformed as it may be
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21569&mesg_id=21599
21599, an opinion... as misinformed as it may be
Posted by guest, Mon Sep-11-00 09:18 AM
Thinking all the way back, I've known alot of kids of "asian" ancestry who were adopted by families of "white" ethnicity. Kids who were somewhat distinct from friends of Vietnamese ancestry and family.

Dean (ancestry & familY) was socialized by his friends, and his town-town roots to represent urban culture. Yet he could rock VietNamese traditions, holidays, etc. spoke the language, had a pet chicken (for real) etc.

Now some of these other cats were NOT FROM DOWNTOWN! Pseudo-suburban cats who acted like white valley girls, or typical bonehead--Yo I'm a guy suburban white men.

I wonder. But again, as cats mention, Black America is not approached the same way by racists and "notaracists" as just any adoption situation.

I HAVE known a few of our African ancestry brethren with "white" ethnicity families, AND two INDIAN (as in INDIA) ancestry black, black men with "white" ethnicity families.

--public school, what can I say!?--

these cats were very "white" not Carlton on fresh prince white, but the clothes, the speech patterns, the white-people work ethic (if you don't work, you are bad).

Nice cats, sure. But quite distinct from "black" culture to the point where they would not fit in at all.

They got the shaft, because ignorant cats from both black and white ethnicities ostracized them at times.

hmm. I wish I knew more, but I don't know most of these cats beyond the surface.

I think the kids will be as fine as their environment can provide for them. BUT MOST FAMILIES AREN'T CULTURALLY INCLUSIVE OR PHILOSOPHICALLY "down" ANYWAY...

Take a child of African anceestry and put it in a "black" family that just so happens to be wealthy, self-serving and disinterest in the struggles or uplifting or normal people.

That kid is at a disadvantage.

Take a child of northern-european ancestry and put it in a ethnically "black" family that rocks black power, Amiri Baraka plays, and goes to the Nuyorican Poets cafe every wednesday for open mic night--and that kid will know what's up.

Those are extremes though.

On average, it's gotta be tough.