Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectIn Detroit two years ago,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21569&mesg_id=21598
21598, In Detroit two years ago,
Posted by Blackmagicallydelicious, Mon Sep-11-00 08:24 AM
there was a black woman who had been the foster parent then adopted mother of a biracial girl. The girl's sister, who was white, had also been in the home as a foster child but later moved out for reasons which escape me now. To keep with what Michigan claims it encourages, plus because a relationship had grown with the foster mother and the white sister, she tried to adopt her. It took her years because social workers tried to find every excuse in the book (and out) to keep the girl away from that house, but she finally was adopted and lives with her new mother and sister.

In cases such as this, I don't have a problem with interracial adoption. If the numbers were even as far as children of other races being adopted by non-white parents, I wouldn't have a gripe. But there are too many children of color being adopted by people who have absolutely no concept of what it is like to be, live around, congregate with people of color. Remember Losing Isiah, "When was the last time you had a black person over for dinner?", "Does he have any dolls of color besides Bert and Ernie? (something like that)".

I think that it is selfish to adopt a child, say that race doesn't matter, when it does for the child's well-being. Some people have grown up fine in this type of enviroment, but from what I've read and seen in interviews, it was rough.

Plus, I've know white people who adopt children of different races and still carry racist attitudes toward poc's(people of color). How dare someone show off pictures of their Asian child, but snub a Latino for asking them a simple work-related question.

I'm venting. Okay, my point's made.

Giving you true blackmagicallydeliciousness since 1999.

September: Spit 4? Okay, I'll try it...

You point and laugh and say I dress funny.
While you sport Japanimated silk shirts and still look bummy.
But it's not about my clothes.
Cause I could still be the shit while I rock your great-granny's wardrobe.

Quotes start heah...
*"Bush proves that he is a man who will best serve the people...their last meal."--Jon Stewart
*"While you sittin' over there drinkin' that Snapple/You need to put your head between my thighs and start bobbin' for apples."--Brown Skin Lady to Naps
*"We see through your voodoo, just like Eve's Bayou, you dealing with the Blackmagic..." Talib Kweli

do damage for damage be
unpredictable with map and compass
& weapons pressed against the cheek
--Sun Rise Missions, from Earthquakes and Sun Rise Missions by Haki R. Madhubuti.