Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectargh... I hate this topic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21569&mesg_id=21590
21590, argh... I hate this topic
Posted by Dove, Sun Sep-10-00 10:22 AM
it's so easy for people to throw around their opinions with such sensitive issues. I see ONE person who replied here who is actually a product of the 'interracial adoption' process....

I had a good friend growing up who was black, adopted by a white family, who had also adopted a Japanese girl and had a child they gave birth to themselves as well. They were rich, spoiled and happy as clams. My friend had NO problem identifying with his culture or anything - his parents never inhibited his growth. He had the best of everything but still was proud to be a black man. He loved his family too. Imagine that.
As far as black families adopting white kids, I had a friend of mine who's family 'adopted' me in many ways - taught me more about life and love and being a woman than my family EVER could have taught me (probably because my friend's family was so much more well adjusted). They may not have paid my bills, but they helped raise me.

I see the point about wanting to keep children in families with similar ethnic backgrounds, however no amount of ethnicity can take the place of sound mental health, strong love and open minds.

I may not be able to have children. If I can't, should I NOT adopt a child of another ethnicity? What if I can't find a 'white' baby... should I remain childless.... maybe I should just live with cats....
It's easy to try & break all this down logically, but without love we have nothing.

Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"I can TAKE you!! I can beat you UP!!" Cyril - OZ

Email: Tygereyz67@aol.com