Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Thug Idolization
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21440&mesg_id=21490
21490, RE: Thug Idolization
Posted by Iltigo, Tue Aug-29-00 11:03 AM
aight yall heres my 2 cents:

The idolization of "thugd" is larger than a black thing, or a community thing. Its apart of American pop-culcture to root for the bad guy. (Lets face facts people we are Americans no matter what dead prez says) Anyway, rooting for the "bad-guy" has been apart of American culture long before hip-hop or anything like it came about. THe idea of the person that bucks at authority and does as they please is sexy and dangerous, and fun...to spectators. I mean look at how popular pulp-fiction books like Ice-Burg Slim, and Black Gangsta effetced us. WE love the bad-guy. He taps into our basic instict of freedom from authoity and such.

NOW...the problem with all this damn freedom is the bad-guys, "thugs" don't know what to do with it, and they'll do anything to anybody that gets in the way of their freedom. (killing, pushiong poison, etc.) In the black community, with the inception of crack-cocaine (sorry it ha to be said) the bad-guy got a little more violent, and a lot greedier. With hip-hop the bad-guy had a larger voice and could get a larger audience (everybody just wants to be heard). So with these two things hip-hop and the decline of the inner-city black community, the "thug" was born and due to our basic instincts as AMericans and consumers of pop-culture we eat it up!!!

NOW what is to be done, to that I don't know. We can't sit and sit on our hands waiting for THE black leader to come and fix shit. Just start at home (literally to some of you guys) with your kids and steer them the right way.

Well thats all for now I hope that made sence to you

peace,

Il

***God, grant me the serninity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change the htings I can. And Wisdom to know the difference.***

***As a general rule of thumb, people are STUPID!! It is your responsibility as an intelligent person to take advantage of this at every possible opprotunity!!!***

NSSSSBE SSSSSSUUUUU!!!! Region ONE WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!