Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject2Cents
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21440&mesg_id=21444
21444, 2Cents
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon Aug-21-00 08:05 PM
>Peace,
>Why is it that some of
>us in the minority community
>idolize thugs? Where did we
>determine it was cool to
>look up to a peddler
>of death?
I don't know when that happened. I think it's about easy money. Why work hard for 50G's a year when you can get it on the streets in a month?
Also, in this day in age, people will do anything for respect from their peers...hence the gats. God forbid you catch a guy with a fly diss, that might cost you your life. People are going through the wrong means to earn respect, which ain't cool at all.

Now...our kids
>idolize the rappers on BET.
>The Cristal-sippin', ice bling blingin',
>Bentley driving MC's with no
>real aim except for you
>to buy their mindless drivel.
I agree somewhat. Some of these bling-blingin cats are so amazed at their newfound fortune that they don't know what to do with it but flaunt it. No buying land for assets, no investments, just ice. A lot of cats rent cars and jewelry just for video shoots, and that's beyond sad. You can't blame them though for kids looking up to them. Kids need someone to tell them that they shouldn't be necessarily looked up to, not that they're bad people, but that they shouldn't look at people's lives and try to emulate them, because that takes away from the child determining their own path in life. I think the whole idea of a role model is sketchy to me because I feel if a person/people can teach a child right from wrong and how to make careful decisions, than that child wouldn't need a role model in the first place.
>
>Are we that eager to find
>a leader that we'll accept
>these scraps of garbage? This
>supposed image of the "good
>life"? This tough posturing?
Leaders aren't really necessary. I'm thinking that kids need more attention than what they're getting. Not so much that legislation needs to be passed, but things like "No TV unless your homework is done properly", and I think that's lacking in society these days.

What
>happened to thinking your mom
>was a hero? Your dad?
>Your older brother? King, Malcolm,
>Garvey, Carver, Ali, Robinson...hell...even Farakhan?
>Are you current elders lacking
>the ice, the fly ride,
>the pretty, mindless people that
>revolve around their every word?
>Is that what you idolize?
>A group of mindless automatons?
I agree with this somewhat also. On the other hand, not many families are picture perfect anymore. How can a mom be a hero if she hits the club 4-5 times a week? How can a dad be a hero if he only calls at Christmas? How can your older brother be a hero when he constantly calls the women around him bitches and hoes? How does a kid look up to things like that...and that's one of the reasons why I think they try to emulate these cats on TV.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree

Peace
Rex