Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThug Idolization
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21440&mesg_id=21440
21440, Thug Idolization
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Fri Aug-18-00 04:45 AM
Peace,
Why is it that some of us in the minority community idolize thugs? Where did we determine it was cool to look up to a peddler of death?

In Chicago, it was Hoover. In New York, Nicky Barnes. In DC, Rayful Edmonds. Now...our kids idolize the rappers on BET. The Cristal-sippin', ice bling blingin', Bentley driving MC's with no real aim except for you to buy their mindless drivel.

I remember here in the DC area how people treated "Rayfis" (Edmonds) like a star. My cousin and uncle "worked" for him and he used to come by the house in a metallic, peach/orange color Benz. Even then, I regarded it as tacky. Word got around the neighborhood..."OOH..Rayfis was at Day-Day's house". Sickening I tell you.

Are we that eager to find a leader that we'll accept these scraps of garbage? This supposed image of the "good life"? This tough posturing? What happened to thinking your mom was a hero? Your dad? Your older brother? King, Malcolm, Garvey, Carver, Ali, Robinson...hell...even Farakhan? Are you current elders lacking the ice, the fly ride, the pretty, mindless people that revolve around their every word? Is that what you idolize? A group of mindless automatons?

See...we have to pierce the core of this wide-spread problem. I said it in another post..and I'll say it here. Let us band together...we who care. Let us join in unison and let these kids know that they can wear their jeans big, hat cocked, sneakers fresh...but they had better know their school lessons just as well. The same fervor a kid will sing "Country Grammar", we should also enforce that the same kid knows proper grammar.

It's all about taking it back...and if I die doing it...so be it.

Peace,

Wise