Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectThug Idolization
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21440
21440, Thug Idolization
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Fri Aug-18-00 04:45 AM
Peace,
Why is it that some of us in the minority community idolize thugs? Where did we determine it was cool to look up to a peddler of death?

In Chicago, it was Hoover. In New York, Nicky Barnes. In DC, Rayful Edmonds. Now...our kids idolize the rappers on BET. The Cristal-sippin', ice bling blingin', Bentley driving MC's with no real aim except for you to buy their mindless drivel.

I remember here in the DC area how people treated "Rayfis" (Edmonds) like a star. My cousin and uncle "worked" for him and he used to come by the house in a metallic, peach/orange color Benz. Even then, I regarded it as tacky. Word got around the neighborhood..."OOH..Rayfis was at Day-Day's house". Sickening I tell you.

Are we that eager to find a leader that we'll accept these scraps of garbage? This supposed image of the "good life"? This tough posturing? What happened to thinking your mom was a hero? Your dad? Your older brother? King, Malcolm, Garvey, Carver, Ali, Robinson...hell...even Farakhan? Are you current elders lacking the ice, the fly ride, the pretty, mindless people that revolve around their every word? Is that what you idolize? A group of mindless automatons?

See...we have to pierce the core of this wide-spread problem. I said it in another post..and I'll say it here. Let us band together...we who care. Let us join in unison and let these kids know that they can wear their jeans big, hat cocked, sneakers fresh...but they had better know their school lessons just as well. The same fervor a kid will sing "Country Grammar", we should also enforce that the same kid knows proper grammar.

It's all about taking it back...and if I die doing it...so be it.

Peace,

Wise

21441, the little i have to say,
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-18-00 06:50 AM
>Peace,

>Why is it that some of
>us in the minority community
>idolize thugs?
i dont know, maybe b/c they represent for sum of them all the material things, they do not have. thugs have cars, "ice," women, sex, money~~

Where did we
>determine it was cool to
>look up to a peddler
>of death?
when the peddler began to supply "jobs" to obtain the things heralded in these rap videos and such.

>
>In Chicago, it was Hoover. In
>New York, Nicky Barnes. In
>DC, Rayful Edmonds. Now...our kids
>idolize the rappers on BET.
>The Cristal-sippin', ice bling blingin',
>Bentley driving MC's with no
>real aim except for you
>to buy their mindless drivel.

sad, but true. and whats even sadder is that, children, our youth r beginning to cut record deals, and sing their heart's greed out for themselves.

>
>
>Are we that eager to find
>a leader that we'll accept
>these scraps of garbage?
i dont know if they want these ppl to lead them to anything but economic freedom.

This
>supposed image of the "good
>life"? This tough posturing?
the irony ofcourse being that they complain about the gun shots, the multiple funerals, but yet and still, they want this high on the hog life illegal or not.

What
>happened to thinking your mom
>was a hero? Your dad?
when they didnt get that iced rollie u wanted, just like jigga's~~~

>Your older brother? King, Malcolm,
>Garvey, Carver, Ali, Robinson...hell...even Farakhan?
hmmmmmm, if they even know who these ppl r. how many of our children still read? look at the education systems~~~ they dont learn about their heroes.

>Are you current elders lacking
>the ice, the fly ride,
>the pretty, mindless people that
>revolve around their every word?
>Is that what you idolize?
>A group of mindless automatons?
limelite is blinding.
>
>
>See...we have to pierce the core
>of this wide-spread problem. I
>said it in another post..and
>I'll say it here. Let
>us band together...we who care.
>Let us join in unison
>and let these kids know
>that they can wear their
>jeans big, hat cocked, sneakers
>fresh...but they had better know
>their school lessons just as
>well. The same fervor a
>kid will sing "Country Grammar",
>we should also enforce that
>the same kid knows proper
>grammar.
vey true indeed, i work w/ Family Servies Inc. w/ the TRAC program, and i can say being there has changed my outlook on many things, in may ways. those children r the most beautiful little beings in this world, they just need sum1 to reinforce that, they just need sum1 to tell them that period.
>
>It's all about taking it back...and
>if I die doing it...so
>be it.
u have my email, if theres anything i can do, maybe even form a trip so that my TRAC kids, can meet sum other youth in D.C...

21442, i don't want no thugs....
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-18-00 08:05 AM
wise i am so like, feeling u!! WE HAVE LET STUPIDITY AND LACK OF REAL AMBITION BECOME COOL. I USED TO TELL MY PARENTS WHEN I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL THAT US YOUNG FOLK LISTEN TO THE MUSIC BUT WE DON'T LIVE IT. BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE GENERATION THAT HAS COME AFTER US (I'M ONLY 25) IS COMPLETELY LOST. THEY ARE SEEKING GUIDANCE FROM THESE FOOLS,WHO WERE FOR THE MOST PART, JOBLESS, LIVING WITH THEIR MAMAS AND HANGING ON CORNERS BEFORE THEY GOT SIGNED. THING IS THEY WERE SMART ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT SOME RECORD EXECUTIVES OUT THERE WERE GONNA LET THEM PUT FORTH THEIR IGNORANCE. ON TOP OF THAT U HAVE WANNA BE THUGS, THEY'RE NOT BIG MONEY BOYS LIKE RAYFUL AND THE OTHERS THEY'RE JUST DUSTY AND SELLING NICKEL BAGS AND CALLING THEMSELVES THUGS. LOOK AT THE ERA OF "SUPERFLY", I WAS TOLD THAT RIGHT AFTER THAT MOVIE CAM OUT EVERYONE WANTED TO A PIMP OR A DRUG DEALER. FOR ALL THOSE THUGS I WOULD LIKE TO OFFER THEM A REAL CHALLENGE: GO TO SCHOOL OR GET A JOB AND TRY TO SUPPORT YOURSELF!! I HOPE THAT OKAYPLAYER CAN BRING THIS MATTER FORWARD AND REALLY MAKE THIS A MOVEMENT AGAINST "THUGDOM". I CAN ONLY SAY THAT I KNOW OUR ANCESTORS ARE ROLLING IN THEIR UNMARKED GRAVES.
ONE LOVE
21443, RE: the little i have to say,
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Mon Aug-21-00 05:35 PM
> Where did we
>>determine it was cool to
>>look up to a peddler
>>of death?
>when the peddler began to supply
>"jobs" to obtain the things
>heralded in these rap videos
>and such.
>

I hear you on this...that's exactly the main issue at hand. It's like the street cats step in where the parents don't.

>>
>>In Chicago, it was Hoover. In
>>New York, Nicky Barnes. In
>>DC, Rayful Edmonds. Now...our kids
>>idolize the rappers on BET.
>>The Cristal-sippin', ice bling blingin',
>>Bentley driving MC's with no
>>real aim except for you
>>to buy their mindless drivel.
>
>sad, but true. and whats even
>sadder is that, children, our
>youth r beginning to cut
>record deals, and sing their
>heart's greed out for themselves.
>
>

True words from one so young.

>
>>Your older brother? King, Malcolm,
>>Garvey, Carver, Ali, Robinson...hell...even Farakhan?
>hmmmmmm, if they even know who
>these ppl r. how many
>of our children still read?
>look at the education systems~~~
>they dont learn about their
>heroes.
>

That's what I'm screamin'! Can we just get to the botton of it? We need to take to these streets!

>
>vey true indeed, i work w/
>Family Servies Inc. w/ the
>TRAC program, and i can
>say being there has changed
>my outlook on many things,
>in may ways. those children
>r the most beautiful little
>beings in this world, they
>just need sum1 to reinforce
>that, they just need sum1
>to tell them that period.
>

I'm willing to be that someone.

>>
>>It's all about taking it back...and
>>if I die doing it...so
>>be it.
>u have my email, if theres
>anything i can do, maybe
>even form a trip so
>that my TRAC kids, can
>meet sum other youth in
>D.C...
>

Bring them on down. I'd love to talk with them.

Peace,
Wise
21444, 2Cents
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon Aug-21-00 08:05 PM
>Peace,
>Why is it that some of
>idolize thugs? Where did we
>look up to a peddler
>of death?
I don't know when that happened. I think it's about easy money. Why work hard for 50G's a year when you can get it on the streets in a month?
Also, in this day in age, people will do anything for respect from their peers...hence the gats. God forbid you catch a guy with a fly diss, that might cost you your life. People are going through the wrong means to earn respect, which ain't cool at all.

Now...our kids
>real aim except for you
I agree somewhat. Some of these bling-blingin cats are so amazed at their newfound fortune that they don't know what to do with it but flaunt it. No buying land for assets, no investments, just ice. A lot of cats rent cars and jewelry just for video shoots, and that's beyond sad. You can't blame them though for kids looking up to them. Kids need someone to tell them that they shouldn't be necessarily looked up to, not that they're bad people, but that they shouldn't look at people's lives and try to emulate them, because that takes away from the child determining their own path in life. I think the whole idea of a role model is sketchy to me because I feel if a person/people can teach a child right from wrong and how to make careful decisions, than that child wouldn't need a role model in the first place.
>
>these scraps of garbage? This
>life"? This tough posturing?
Leaders aren't really necessary. I'm thinking that kids need more attention than what they're getting. Not so much that legislation needs to be passed, but things like "No TV unless your homework is done properly", and I think that's lacking in society these days.

What
>was a hero? Your dad?
>the ice, the fly ride,
I agree with this somewhat also. On the other hand, not many families are picture perfect anymore. How can a mom be a hero if she hits the club 4-5 times a week? How can a dad be a hero if he only calls at Christmas? How can your older brother be a hero when he constantly calls the women around him bitches and hoes? How does a kid look up to things like that...and that's one of the reasons why I think they try to emulate these cats on TV.

Just my opinion, feel free to disagree

Peace
Rex

21445, RE: Thug Idolization
Posted by k_orr, Tue Aug-22-00 05:27 AM
>Peace,
>Why is it that some of
>idolize thugs?

It is not anything new to the minority community. It has found precedent in many communities of all flavors.

Where did we
>look up to a peddler
>of death?

It's not the death, but rather everything else that says success, ho's, clothes, bank rolls...

>In Chicago, it was Hoover. In
>New York, Nicky Barnes. In
>DC, Rayful Edmonds. Now...our kids
>real aim except for you

Master P/No Limit sponsored the Million Youth March. When's that last time the Roots broke off a chunk of dough for nation building?

But let's not get into who's doing what for the "community". And figure out how bro's coming up can see the beauty of owning land, owning a legal business, handling creditors, and providing.

>
>these scraps of garbage?

Should we be looking for a leader? What is wrong with being self directed?

The real danger of the Timothy McVeigh's of the world is that they can do things without need of a grand conspiracy.

I propose Okayplayer writes a Nat Turner Diaries. We put in the vital information it takes to get things done in the world, and disseminate to our folks.

This
>life"?

Isn't that the goal anyway. House on the Hill, Boat on the Lake, and a detail shop... (UGK)

This tough posturing? What
>was a hero? Your dad?

Those aren't heroes the way we think of heroes. Particularly when it's your folks that discipline you. It's easy to remember the negative when most of your life is positive, or positive when most of your life is negative.

Why hell even Farrakhan? Outside of the real crazy stuff he says about meeting Elijah in the space ship, he might have some good ideas. (although they many are so conservative Strom Thurmond would try and help out)

>the ice, the fly ride,

They have it. Jesse ain't pushing a Hyundai or going to the Men's wearhouse. Nor should he.

I'm trying to move into the El Hajj Malik Shabazz mode myself.

>
>
>See...we have to pierce the core
>of this wide-spread problem. I
>said it in another post..and
>I'll say it here. Let
>us band together...we who care.
>Let us join in unison
>and let these kids know
>that they can wear their
>jeans big, hat cocked, sneakers
>fresh...but they had better know
>their school lessons just as
>well. The same fervor a
>kid will sing "Country Grammar",
>we should also enforce that
>the same kid knows proper
>grammar.

Fuck proper grammer. We are about reforming ideas that run our lives. Fuck consumerism, materialism, utility, and all the other hold overs from Western culture. We should synthesize the positives we see from every group, and think of ourselves as being at war with majority culture.

peace
k. orr
21446, ramblings..
Posted by guest, Tue Aug-22-00 06:02 AM
>Fuck proper grammer. We are
>about reforming ideas that run
>our lives. Fuck consumerism,
>materialism, utility, and all the
>other hold overs from Western
>culture. We should synthesize
>the positives we see from
>every group, and think of
>ourselves as being at war
>with majority culture.

'reform ideas that run our lives' - sitting here thinking those are words to live by!

makes so much sense, mentally/emotionally..but then I'll bounce and get immersed back in it, that culture that bears no fruit.

oftentimes that's how I'll justify my weed consumption, to crystallise ideas and keep my head above water/matrix until I'm ready to commit to them.

whenever that may be. however far we'd get.

seize your time! - marley/wailers

ain't nothing rehearsed.. - butterfly/dps
21447, RE: ramblings..
Posted by guest, Tue Aug-22-00 06:11 AM
I DON'T THINK THAT WE SHOULD GET ON THE ROOTS' CASE BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY HAVE THEIR OWN CHILDREN AND AT LEAST THEY ALREADY KICK POSITIVITY IN THEIR SONGS INSTEAD OF MAKING A MINT OFF OF BOOTY-ASS THUG GLORY LYRICS AND THEN WANNA GIVE IT BACK TO THE KIDS THAT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE AND UNFORTUNATELY DA ROOTS DON'T HAVE THE LOOT THAT MASTER P HAS THOSE KIDS AIN'T THINKING "OH MASTER P IS GIVING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY" THEIR THINKING, 'WOBBLE WOBBLE OOO SHAKE IT SHAKE IT'
21448, Why can't the Roots be critiqued?
Posted by nahymsa, Tue Aug-22-00 07:16 AM
If we're judging who does what for the community..everybody should be judged by the same yardstick. Positive words with nothing tangible to back them up can be seen as inaction. There are positives & negatives to both types of artists.

>THOSE KIDS AIN'T THINKING "OH MASTER P
>IS GIVING BACK TO THE COMMUNITY" THEIR >THINKING, 'WOBBLE WOBBLE OOO SHAKE IT SHAKE IT'

Its not just kids that listen to P or use him as an example. Mos Def was in the Source talking about how the native tongue types should align themselves like JayZ with Rocafella & P with No Limit. Clearly, P was a positive role model in that sense, he set the example that Mos recognized as progressive. Also, I personally know 2 brothas (former drug dealers) that opened barber shops and more than a few white collar execs that SITE Master P as inspiration in terms of his approach to business (something they also rhyme about in those No Limit records). Give credit where credit is due.
21449, RE: Why can't the Roots be critiqued?
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 07:48 AM
ya know sis i don't come on these boards to argue with no damn body!!! other folks voice their opinions and i can repect that even if i don't agree but this is like the second time that u've come at me. chill!! i'm not saying that the roots are above being critiqued. and i'm not here to kiss anyone's ass either!!! no doubt he deserves respect for being the money maker that he is and for giving back to the community.
do the roots have the money that p has?
and is p above being critiqued?
21450, Come at you?
Posted by nahymsa, Thu Aug-24-00 08:42 AM
this is the net, its just talk & I didn't even address you personally...just the idea.

Everythings all good up in here until somebody disagrees with the cult mentality.

21451, RE: Come at you?
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 11:43 AM
SEE WHAT I'M SAYING? SISTA LIGHTEN UP DAMN. AS FAR AS DISAGREEING WITH THE MAINSTREAM....I THINK ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE WHEN SOMEONE DISAGREES WITH YOU AND YES THIS IS THE NET AND PEOPLE CAN VOICE THEIR OPINIONS BUT I'VE EVEN SEEN WHERE U'VE CALLED FOLKS IGNORANT BECAUSE THEY'RE VOICING THEIR OPINIONS AND U DON'T AGREE WITH THEM....IF THAT POST WASN'T DIRECTED TO ME THEN "MY BAD"
ONE LOVE!!

BOTTOM LINE----->GOD, FAMILY, CURRENCY
21452, can i jump in right here???...
Posted by asighn4jane, Sat Aug-26-00 06:06 AM
all other statements aside...but if i hear one more statement to or see more erection of a DRUG DYNASTY gone good...i'm goin to fuckin scream!!!...i live in detroit...in the early 80s we had YBI...YOUNG BOYS INCORPORATED...i mean...they were fierce yo...they had taxi services on lock deliverin their "goods"...the whole 9...{like to see a movie about it???...here it go...it's in production}...& the whole monniker of usin 'young boys' was on target...literally: utilize young boys who'll be charged as youth offenders thusly gettin shorter jail sentences to run ur SHIT...that was the beginnin of our initiation into the 'supreme clientele'

but to speak upon the DRUG DEALERS openin the barber shops: that is so damned pathetic & nauseatin...detroit is litter'd w/barber/beauty shops...auto detailin shops...car washes purchased w/DRUG MONEY...just because u have now erected a tax base for that home out in the burbs u now live in...or that $50,000 SUV u drive w/out bein employed by one of the big 3 {thusly receivin a discount for}...does not legitimize u...& here it is still: bigger figures makin money off the sweat & dedication of other people...these DRUG DEALERS are not barbers...not bumper & body men...do not scrub white walls...they are injectin handsfree...responsibility-less places of business in their own communities that cater to their own "element"...they still market to & benefit frum their people...i don't care how many fuckin turkeys are handed out at thanksgivin...u are a DRUG DEALER...who has faced NO CONSEQUENCES FOR U ACTIONS

i do believe that DRUG MONEY could be utilized in our communites...but not at the discretion of the DRUG DEALERS...drug dealers...however gifted mathematicians & business persons they may be...are CRIMINALS...who are not payin nearly enuff restitution to the community they helped to distruct in the property taxes they pay for ownin these establishments...what's a fuckin barbershop when we have nappyheaded underclothed children afraid to walk to school because of the DRUG DEALERS the "other" kind of business men handed the torch off to are not recognizin they are DEALIN DRUGS in a 'School Zone'...

do u really think those children w/the grumblin bellies are lookin at the lex parked outside "Fade Em & Fuck Em" are thinkin to become a barber when they grow up???...these children know...they went frum seein them open shop on the corner to openin shop literally...& after how many years in the "game" do they decide to "legitimize" themselves???...a decade???...8.5 years???...a bid at a camp???...after they have emerged frum the battle unscathed do they then decide to straighten up & fly right???...ha...& don't let the fool whisper in ur ear that they no longer have drug affiliations...i have to digress now...because that is a VERY raw wound that festers itself in my city...& THEY have the nerve to be insured against US
HA

"because marvin died the day before his birth is why i hurry"...jessica care moore

"If you can read this, thank a teacher" BUMPERSTICKER

21453, Dont' be classist/elitist, ma
Posted by nahymsa, Fri Sep-01-00 07:31 AM
>but to speak upon the DRUG DEALERS openin the barber shops: that is so damned pathetic & nauseatin...detroit is litter'd w/barber/beauty
>shops...auto detailin shops...car washes purchased w/DRUG MONEY...just because u have
>now erected a tax base for that home out in
>the burbs u now live in...or that $50,000 SUV u
>drive w/out bein employed by one of the big 3
>{thusly receivin a discount for}...does
>not legitimize u...

it did for the Kennedy's and most of elite white america that we all go to college so we can get jobs & work for.

>here it is still: bigger figures makin
>money off the sweat & dedication of other people...these DRUG DEALERS are not barbers...not bumper & body men...do not scrub white walls..

ummm...so?. First of all, the brothas that I know who did open up shop weren't all drug dealers but they did take example from P. 2) They provide a place for a person to earn their keep, legit. There's nothing wrong with hard work. Do you expect to clean the toilets in your office after you get your degree?

>They are injectin handsfree...responsibility-less places of business in their own communities that cater to their own "element"...they still market to & benefit frum their people...

what are you talking about. A business (hair salon, laundry mat, chicken place, provides jobs & services to a community....period. A black owned business is just that black owned & if successful they won't have to hustle anymore & can hire our people so they won't have to either.

>u are a DRUG DEALER...who has faced NO CONSEQUENCES FOR U ACTIONS

do you know anyone personally, who's sold drugs. The repercussions are many. Its not an easy life.

I don't consider neighborhood drug dealers our "enemy" - they are imo, coconspirators (as many of us are) with a system that works against our best interest. Most aren't getting "paid", many are addicts themselves and usually they feel there aren't any feasible alternatives to the lifestyle they've choosen.
>
>i do believe that DRUG MONEY could be utilized in our communites...but not at the discretion
>of the DRUG DEALERS..

how is that going to work? If you aren't willing to sell the drugs why would you be willing to utilize the profits from it to your (& our benefit)? Then turn around & denigrate the people who did the dirty work for you.

>drug dealers...however gifted mathematicians & >business persons they may be...are CRIMINALS...

If the government legalized drugs then they wouldn't be. Frankly, I'm not too concerned about laws made by immoral people in an immoral system. And agents of the US regularly break its this country's laws. In fact those agents are responsible for the drug trade to begin with.

>not payin nearly enuff restitution to the >community they helped to distruct in the >property taxes they pay for ownin these establishments...

selling drugs does not destroy, the fact that they are illegal is what is the problem, therefore legalize it. We pay taxes every day to a government that deliberately dumps drugs into our community for sale & profit. So we are willing destroying our own community in that sense in order to be able to live without 5-0 at our door.

>what's a fuckin barbershop when we have >nappyheaded underclothed children afraid to walk >to school because of the DRUG DEALERS the "other" kind of business men handed the torch
>off to are not recognizin they are DEALIN DRUGS >in >a 'School Zone'...

is this an afterschool special? What drug dealer you know is fucking with kids on their way to school? If you're refering to a hostile environment due to drug selling, I think that poverty and its repercussions needs to be examined.

>do u really think those children w/the grumblin >bellies are lookin at the lex parked outside
>"Fade Em & Fuck Em" are thinkin to become a
>barber when they grow up???...

The children that I've spoken with, looked at these brothas & wanted to own businesses & have their own. They (unlike most elitist adults) didn't dismiss being a barber or running a laundry mat as beneath them, especially when they say the Lex parked outside.

>how many years in the "game" do they decide
>to "legitimize" themselves???...

who cares as long as they do?

>don't let the fool whisper in ur ear that they >no longer have drug affiliations...

some don't some do...do you speak from experience? I do.

>i have to digress now...because that is a VERY >raw wound that festers itself in my city...

You're not the only one that lives aroundtheway. I do too & you know what, I have a different perspective.
21454, I think we should get on their case
Posted by k_orr, Thu Aug-24-00 09:45 AM
>I DON'T THINK THAT WE SHOULD
>GET ON THE ROOTS' CASE

Why not. If there is anyone that we should be talking about, it should be the so-called positive/conscious artists taking a leading role in preparing the young folks for revolution.

>BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY HAVE THEIR
>OWN CHILDREN AND AT LEAST
>THEY ALREADY KICK POSITIVITY IN
>THEIR SONGS INSTEAD OF MAKING
>A MINT OFF OF BOOTY-ASS
>THUG GLORY LYRICS AND THEN

I would hesitate to call them positive, but only in the process of comparing them to other so-called negative artists.

On top of that, you need to actually listen to anyone rocking booty ass thug glory lyrics. Often there is a lot of "conscious" social commentary built into their descriptions.

>WANNA GIVE IT BACK TO
>THE KIDS THAT DOESN'T MAKE
>SENSE AND UNFORTUNATELY DA ROOTS
>DON'T HAVE THE LOOT THAT
>MASTER P HAS THOSE KIDS
>AIN'T THINKING "OH MASTER P
>IS GIVING BACK TO THE
>COMMUNITY" THEIR THINKING, 'WOBBLE WOBBLE
>OOO SHAKE IT SHAKE IT'

Does it matter what they think?

I'm talking about action, not words.

peace
k. orr

21455, RE: I think we should get on their case
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 11:46 AM
YEAH WE SHOULD BUT SHIT IT'S HARD ENOUGH FOR THEM BEING IN THE CONSCIOUS GENRE...DOES IT MATTER WHAT THEY THINK? DO U HAVE KIDS OR COME IN CONTACT WITH ANY ON A DAILY BASIS?? FUCKIN REAL IT MATTERS WHAT THEY THINK!!! THEY'RE FUCKIN KIDS!!

21456, right this second
Posted by k_orr, Thu Aug-24-00 12:23 PM
No, I don't run into kids. I changed jobs cause counseling was way too hard. But have I worked with "at-risk" teenagers on a daily basis 10 hours a day for an extended period of time, yes. So when you say these girls don't have any values, I will ask you what you mean by that. I specifically worked with teenage women who met the poverty guidelines. Being a brother in a suit going to the hood and out to the farms wasn't easy.

All the pie in the sky ideas I hear cats talk about don't translate when you're in the trenches.

peace
k. orr
21457, Nation building/Roots
Posted by janey, Tue Aug-22-00 06:13 AM
Just wanna give credit where credit is due. This site was established and funded by ?uestlove. I think it's a good place to form community, and I think that a lot of positive energy has come out of it.

Peace.
21458, RE: Thug Idolization
Posted by YaYa, Tue Aug-22-00 07:14 AM
Peace Wise.

In a community where children are raising children it's hard to see where morals and values actually originate. You have teenagers having babies that then turn around and have more babies. You have mothers that care more about their hair and their nails then whether their kids eat or bathe. You have deadbeat dads that perpetuate the sin of their fathers onto their children. I don't quite know how the community as a whole can solve the problem but part of it starts at home. I am a single parent and I make sure that my son knows that mess is not cute. He is not even permitted to watch videos or listen to the radio. I don't listen to the radio or watch videos so why should he. Granted he's only 4 but it starts from birth and that's what people need to understand. If we plan to stop the cycle of easy pimpin and hard violence that plagues our communities then we must start with our children. Each one teach one. When I see my neice's mom slacking I let her know. If I see my people slacking I try to let them know (without getting smacked that is...). I don't know if my gibberish helps Wise, but I am just as sick of this mess as you. But I remember that before my eyes and my spirit were opened to the truth I idolized the wrong things also. Each one teach one is not empty rhetoric. Its like I keep telling people "only those souls that know the truth can lead others to freedom". Believe that. PEACE.

p.s. we coming to DC labor day weekend baby, get it ready.

------------------------------------
Ya-Ya: "Man you shoulda came with us to the reggae spot it was on like that."
Scoop Squeeze: "Oh yeah I heard about ya'll out there."
Ya-Ya: "What you hear??"
Scoop Squeeze: "I heard YOU was havin' it."
Ya-Ya: "What?"
Scoop Squeeze: "I heard you was havin' it like the havers have it."
Ya-Ya: "Bwahahahaha!!!"

If she dress like a smut, and she talk like a smut, she must be a smut- Scoop Squeeze

For real... I see women all the time with them Bearenstein bear toes...- Scoop Squeeze

Melanism: Every Okayplayer owes you head
Melanism: And you can quote me
QueenMamaYaya: owes me head????????
Melanism: Yeah I said it
QueenMamaYaya: wow, hmmm how do I cash in on that lol
Melanism: Well, i guess you'll have to have a line that forms outside your room and a signup sheet with availible hours

Ya-Ya's Feed Your Mind Chronicles
http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/stands/7507/mindfeed.html

ATTENTION!!!! You can now purchase the AutNoyz CD at mp3.com featuring the top ten hits "Aint No Tellin'", "360 Degrees", "Perfect Murder", and much more. Hey, I'm on 4 tracks ok, go buy it kids!!!!
Http://www.mp3.com/artists/60/autnoyz.html

21459, Teenage mom does not equal a lack of morality & values
Posted by nahymsa, Tue Aug-22-00 07:18 AM
>
21460, RE: Teenage mom does not equal a lack of morality & values
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 07:51 AM
in most cases it does....where do u live fantasy island? like i said MOST.
21461, my mom was a teenage mom
Posted by nahymsa, Thu Aug-24-00 08:53 AM
She's one of the most moral & good people I know. In fact, she was a much better mother than most of the kids I know who's mom was over 25 & married. See, y'all sit up here & insult/talk shit about real fucking people..including some in my family. This shit ain't theory, its real, & when you make those types of judgments you're talking about me & mine. Many people in the black community had single teenage unwed mothers...most of these mothers weren't immoral valueless people.

21462, RE: my mom was a teenage mom
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 11:48 AM
I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS THAT WERE TEENAGE MOMS SOME ARE WORTH A SHIT SOME ARE NOT!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK ARE U SO ANGRY ABOUT SIS?
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME I'M NOT TRYING TO BE A SMARTASS EITHER!!!

ONE LOVE
21463, Then how can you say that teenage moms are immoral & valueless
Posted by nahymsa, Fri Aug-25-00 04:34 AM
when you yourself admit that some of the ones you know are worth something (I'm assuming that means they have values & morality).

I'm disgusted by the fact that anyone would imply that teenage moms somehow have less morality than any other type of mother based on the very act of having a kid as a teen. Its just outrageous to me that anyone would put that ugliness out there.

21464, RE: Then how can you say that teenage moms are immoral & valueless
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-25-00 07:41 AM
BECAUSE I CAN I DON'T KNOW WHO'S POST YOU'RE REFERRING TO BUT IT WASN'T MINE I SAID WAS SOME ARE WORTH A SHIT SOME AREN'T...THEN U WENT POSTING THAT IN ANOTHER THREAD CAN U PLEASE READ BEFORE U START BASHING...WHEN I FIRST REPLIED TO ONE OF YOUR POSTS I THINK I GAVE THE MESSAGE THAT "I COME IN PEACE" SO ...GO FIGURE

U CAN VENT ON ME FUCK IT:]
21465, you may want to remember what you write
Posted by nahymsa, Fri Aug-25-00 09:47 AM
I said "Teenage mom does not equal a lack of morality & values"

your response was "in most cases it does....where do u live fantasy island? like i said MOST."

Clearly that's an indictment of most teen moms (married or not since you didn't get specific) as lacking morality & values.

So here's my questions: on what do you base this stereotype? And what about teenage parenthood is inherently immoral or valueless in most cases?
21466, RE: you may want to remember what you write
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-25-00 10:11 AM
OKAY LET'S JUST START BY SAYING THAT I AM IN NO WAY TALKING ABOUT THE TEENAGED MOMS THAT ARE HANDLIN' THEIR BUSINESS (NUFF RESPECT TO THEM)...BUT IN THE CASES WHERE THEY ARE NOT (AND I SEE THIS EVERYDAY) A LOT OF THEM DO NOT FINISH HIGH SCHOOL OR GET A GED OR WHATEVER AND DON'T GET ME WRONG FOR SAYING THIS BUT SOME HAVE COME TO RELY ON WELFARE TO FEED AND CLOTHE THEIR CHILDREN (AND IT'S NOT THAT MUCH MONEY AT ALL) AND THAT'S FINE IF YOU NEED THE HELP BUT THEIR IS A TIME WHEN U HAVE TO GET UP AND DO FOR YOU AND YOURS AND NOT JUST SETTLE. I HAVE A FRIEND (OF 14 YEARS) THAT HAD HER CHILD WHEN SHE WAS 16 AND SHE NEVER (LIKE SOME) WENT BACK TO GET HER GED AND YET HER DAUGHTER HAS SEEN MORE MEN COME IN AND OUT OF HER LIFE THAN INCOME AND THAT'S SAD. NOT SAYING THAT IT'S WRONG TO DATE SOMEONE OTHER THAN YO BABY DADDY BUT SOME THINGS YOUR KIDS DON'T HAVE TO SEE. THEIR ARE SOME YOUNG GIRLS THAT HAVE GOOD SENSE AND USE DISCRETION BUT THERE ARE SOME THAT DON'T. I'VE SEEN YOUNG GIRLS ENCOURAGING THEIR KIDS TO CUSS (BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'S CUTE) I DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. YOU KNOW NAHYMSA MAYBE IT'S NOT A LACK OF MORALITY AND VALUES MAYBE IT'S A LACK OF BEING ABLE TO ENJOY YOUR YOUTH AND SOME GIRLS STILL WANT TO DO THAT WHEN THEY HAVE A CHILD (WHICH ISN'T WRONG) BUT YOU HAVE TO WATCH WHAT YOU DO. IS IT IMMORAL TO HAVE SEX BEFORE MARRIAGE? A LOT OF FOLKS SAY SO AND THE DUDE WHO POSTED THE "MORALITY" COMMENT IS PROBABLY HAVING PREMARITAL SEX BUT JUST BECAUSE HE DIDN'T KNOCK SOMEONE UP IN HIGH SCHOOL DOESN'T MEAN HE'S MORE OF AN UPSTANDING MORAL CITIZEN THAN SOMEONE WHO DID> I'M NOT SURE IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M GETTIN AT LEMME KNOW.
21467, RE: Then how can you say that teenage moms are immoral & valueless
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-25-00 07:47 AM
I THINK YOU ARE REFERRING TO A SISTA LOGGED ON UNDER THE NAME YAYA
21468, RE: my mom was a teenage mom
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 11:56 AM
nahymsa, i'm pretty sure you know a few young mom's that don't do the things that your mom did for you and your family and let's face it women were more mature back then, my granny had my dad when she was 14 but it was different.. women knew what they had to do and if they did some immoral shit they didn't advertise especialy in front of there children....

21469, Define morailty and values
Posted by k_orr, Thu Aug-24-00 09:46 AM

peace
k. orr
21470, RE: Define morailty and values
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 11:57 AM
whatever nahymsa says they are:}:}:}

(look dammit i'm jokin' shit!!!)
21471, I'm not sure if
Posted by Wendell, Thu Aug-24-00 12:24 PM
this is a minority neighborhood issue. I'm sure that the same hero worship attitude exists where ever a history of underworld activity exists. I'm thinking of the Italian community in particular, but it also exist in the Russian and Polish comminites also.

The reason I bring this up, is because we tend to believe that our faults, as a people, are exclusive to us. This just isn't true.

That point aside, I'm feeling everything you've said. If something, as in a actual activites, arise from this conversation, count me in!!! Just tell me what I need to do, I'm a soldier!

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell
21472, RE: I'm not sure if
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-24-00 12:27 PM
thanks for bringing us back to the real topic!
21473, Thanks...
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Fri Aug-25-00 05:06 AM
...for keeping things civil.

I'm not sure infighting is the proper course of action but this discussion has appeared to liven up things in regards to helping the current situation as it stands. I also wish to extend my helping hand to those "trench-workers"...I've done it myself and it wasn't so bad. Frustration was just an added responsibility...I recognized my greater goal would be realized in time.

If any of you wish to REALLY get some public dialouge and action, let's get something going. I'm in the DC Area but I'm not above travel. Or we can just bounce ideas off each other. We could all stand to strategize better.

Wise.
21474, RE: Thanks...
Posted by guest, Fri Aug-25-00 07:44 AM
U CAN EMAIL ME AT ninjaette_2000@yahoo.com I'D RATHER HANDLE IT THAT WAY BECAUSE WE'VE KINDA STRAYED FROM THE TOPIC ON SOME BS....I'M TWO HOURS AWAY IN PHILLY..HIT ME
21475, THIS is what i'm talkin about
Posted by BooDaah, Fri Aug-25-00 02:45 PM
we can sit and analyze (and cuss each other out) till we're blue in the face, but ultimately, my question is:

WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO ABOUT IT?

good deal you two, i hope you get together, and do some thangs.

back to the topic:

as the player said, this is nothing new nor specific to any race/culture. the "bad guys" are always seen as "cooler" (don't get me started on the whole "I wanna ruffneck/baller/big pimpin" thing). the REAL deal is that those of us who don't like those individuals as an example need to stop fussing and provide a different choice. show that money/hoes/clothes doesn't necessarily
equal happiness. show that education, or whatever, can get you success that's gonna last and nobody is gonna put you in jail for it. point out the fallacy of the rented cars/jewels. BE a role model.

additionally, unless you're speaking from a position which will give your opinion credence, one runs the risk of being a "hater" if they're just sniping from the sidelines.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

21476, RE: THIS is what i'm talkin about
Posted by Shaun_G, Mon Aug-28-00 06:36 AM
So when some kid who either sells drugs or is thinking about it asks an 'honest' person how much money he/she makes, after you tell them and they say "I can make that much in a month", what do you say then?

Yeah, you can say that chances are drug dealing is a short life that probably ends in jail time or death but if you're desperate enough to sell drugs, you don't care about that anyway.

What do you say that will actually convince someone not to go for the quick $$$?

Shaun G.

21477, RE: THIS is what i'm talkin about
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Mon Aug-28-00 07:44 AM
>So when some kid who either
>sells drugs or is thinking
>about it asks an 'honest'
>person how much money he/she
>makes, after you tell them
>and they say "I can
>make that much in a
>month", what do you say
>then?
>

I'd kindly show them the hell they'd have to go through to maintain that status. The constant fear...always asking people to "buy" cars in their name because your name can be out there...the stress of dirty money and covering your tracks. As an "honest" person, I can easily dispel all rumors of that fast life crap...I've done my time and dirt...I've seen enough to know I don't want to go back to it. It's a hell of a lot easier this way.

>Yeah, you can say that chances
>are drug dealing is a
>short life that probably ends
>in jail time or death
>but if you're desperate enough
>to sell drugs, you don't
>care about that anyway.
>

There are many ghetto sucess stories to draw from. You can show the young person true desperation in the struggle it is to be a person of color in America. You just have to be consistent in telling these young cats you care about them. Dig?

>What do you say that will
>actually convince someone not to
>go for the quick $$$?
>

I have not a script in hand to deter these people. I would speak from the heart...that's no doubt.

Wise

21478, ditto
Posted by BooDaah, Mon Aug-28-00 09:40 AM
hopefully i would be able to explain that "quick money" ain't always the best money.

there are those who believe the end justifies the means, and there are certainly those who worry about "problems" if/when they come, but having been there myself i remember being told to simply watch and see how long such fleeting success lasts. ultimately I had to make my own decision, and i simply looked at the fruit which resulted.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.

21479, i met
Posted by prophetsun, Fri Aug-25-00 01:56 PM
it was the late mid or late 80's and i was living in capitol heights off of malboro pike.

i was at the rec center b-ball courts between the old drive-in and eddies sub shop(can't remember the name, not enough sleep too much work).

the bama rolls up with a caravan of like 4 cars....for what reason i have no idea...

they hop outta jeeps & coupes and start talkin to some people who were at the courts....

rayfis pulls out what had to be 15 thousand dollars in $100 bills and just hands them to people.....

fools were looking at him like he was black jesus....

i came home and retold the story of events to my pops....

my pops asked me if i was impressed by what i saw...

being young and dumb, i said YEAH, who wouldnt be impressed with $$$$$$$.

so my pops reached in his wallet...pulled out all the cash he had (maybe $100) and all the credit cards and put them on the table before me...

i said, "he had WAY more money than that"...

my late (great) pops said

"well, this green card right here is an american express...with no credit limit, so i can spend as much money as i'm willing to pay back....these other credit cards have pretty high limits and low balances...which means i have good credit...the house we're standing in is owned by me and has about $70K worth of equity....and i got all this by GOOD OLD FASHIONED HONEST HARD WORK!!!!....now you mark my words....that boy (rayfis) will be dead or in jail for the rest of his life within the next decade..(we call it locked up or glocked up)...and when he gets locked up, anything he owns that he can't say was purchased with a tax paying job will be confiscated by the government (gu'ment as we call it)....

and how smart is it to walk around with that much money in cash?

that's just a fool without a bank account.

i keep my money where smart people do...in bank accounts, mutual funds, money market accounts, and CDs where it is safely growing interest.

drug money is fast and does not last....my money comes in smaller amounts...but it comes in as steady and dependable as the sunrise....

and i don't have to worry about which one of my "friends" or enemies is gonna kill me...

and i don't have to worry about the police coming to send me away to where the muscle-bound fags play.....

so the choice is yours....rayfis is on a rocketship right now and y'all lookin up at 'em like he's the brightest star around.....

but mark my words....HE WILL FALL AND FALL HARD..JUST LIKE HIS KIND ALWAYS DOES....

so who you wanna be when you grow up?

him or me? "

young prophetsun thought long and hard about that speech and decided that watching his back from friend, foe, and 5-0 was just not worth it.

i decided to be honest and hardworking like my pops....

so i am now a 27year old , financially secure, gainfully employed, enlightened father and husband....

and all my old friends who chose to pump coke and hustle up at mayberry apartments, forest creek apartments, and the countless other projects infested with misguided lost souls selling death to their people have either been locked up or glocked up.....

and i have more $$money$$ than all of them.

and i'm safe.

so THUG LIFE aint as lucrative as it looks....

but how many youngins in PG county are gonna pick me as their role model?
-Not strong, only agressive
-not free, merely licensed
-not compassionate, we were polite
-not good, but well behaved
-we courted death in order to call ourselves brave, and hid like thieves from life. Toni Morrison

WHY DO BAMMAS TELL LIES ONLINE?
IS YOUR LIFE SO PATHETIC THAT YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO LIE TO COMPLETE STRANGERS?
GET A CLUE......Y'ALL 'BOUT TA MAKE ME OPEN UP A FRESH CAN ON Y'ALL B*TCH *SSES

-i aint lyin! this sh*t i'm makin up is true!!
-i love you in a place, where there's no space or time.....
-i love you for my life, your a friend of mine......
-and when my life is over, remember when we were together....
"a song for you" donny hathaway

PEACE & LOVE
21480, wOw...
Posted by asighn4jane, Sat Aug-26-00 06:11 AM
just wOw sun

"because marvin died the day before his birth is why i hurry"...jessica care moore

"If you can read this, thank a teacher" BUMPERSTICKER

21481, RE: i met
Posted by guest, Mon Aug-28-00 04:19 AM
your father was a very smart man not every parent knows what to say to their child in a situation like that it kinda reminds me of that movie "a bronx tale" when the father says to his son "the working man is the toughguy" and it's true!! getiing up whenever u feel like it and waiting for addicts is not a real job the money grows fast but so does dissention envy and greed.
21482, My pops
Posted by Wendell, Mon Aug-28-00 06:54 AM
Provided the same example in a similar situation for me as a shorty.

I'm not sure where I'd be without that man, but I'm sure I wouldn't be where I'm at now.

Role models start in the home.

Peace

Pseudonym-less Wendell
21483, Let's try and start with the PARENTS!!!
Posted by Brownsugar, Sat Aug-26-00 06:53 AM
We can't expect to see a change in our youths, until more positive values are instilled within the PARENTS!!! Parents are the main people that instill the positive values in our children. But how can you expect much, when the parents lives are so corrupt. Nowadays...there are no positive values, within the homes...parents are on drugs,leaving their youths to "fin" for themselves...it's
just like the song..."Now, tell me what the fuck am I supposed to do!!!"

First...We got to reach the parent,in order to bring about a change. I have become a part of the public school system, recently. I am going to try to get the parents into counseling...We got to get the parents to become active participants in their childrens education...Until this goal is achieved...there is little room for progress. Hopefully all people concerned can reach out in some way or another to help get parents involved in their childrens life and education.

Please let us all...do our parts, in helping to make a change for the better!!!

"The mind is the master, that molds and makes!"--James Allen
21484, when good posts die
Posted by prophetsun, Sun Aug-27-00 01:41 PM
write a post about PIMP TRICK GANGSTA CLIQUE and get 100 replies....write about something decent........ HEAR CRICKETS.............

-Whoa! Why am i attacking hip hop? 'Cause I'm a lyricist, son. A lyricist that has had to serve as his own inspiration when most of my peers seem to idolize Donald Trump more than Sly Stone; when they don't seem to realize that Jimi Hendrix was and is a sonic Bill Gates. Oh Shit, don't make me call no names...penned by Saul Williams

-Not strong, only agressive
-not free, merely licensed
-not compassionate, we were polite
-not good, but well behaved
-we courted death in order to call ourselves brave, and hid like thieves from life. Toni Morrison

WHY DO BAMMAS TELL LIES ONLINE?
IS YOUR LIFE SO PATHETIC THAT YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO LIE TO COMPLETE STRANGERS?
GET A CLUE......Y'ALL 'BOUT TA MAKE ME OPEN UP A FRESH CAN ON Y'ALL B*TCH *SSES

-i aint lyin! this sh*t i'm makin up is true!!

-i love you in a place, where there's no space or time.....
-i love you for my life, your a friend of mine......
-and when my life is over, remember when we were together....
"a song for you" donny hathaway

PEACE & LOVE
21485, RE: Let's try and start with the PARENTS!!!
Posted by guest, Mon Aug-28-00 04:23 AM
i feel you!! and hats off to you for your involvement!! so you sometimes find that the parents are worse than the young folk when it comes to talking about values etc.
21486, RE: Let's try and start with the PARENTS!!!
Posted by Brownsugar, Tue Aug-29-00 08:17 AM
I think, I am on this board today, to remove some of the pain that I feel within my heart today. Earlier this morning, One of the "thugs", in my neighborhood was shot to death. Last week, one thug was shot in the back, now he is back on the corner, serving drugs and waiting for his next bullet....GOD...WHEN WILL IT END!!!...I am so hurt because they are still humans.

Thug life is thrust up on them and they have no where else to go!!! The school wanted me to type up some information today. I am very tired and did not feel up to it. I had to do it!!! Hopefully, the steps I made today for the school will be one step towards putting an end to this unnecessary madness.

Yes, tears are in my heart today...I can't bring back the life that was lost, this morning, but I will do the best that I can!!!
21487, I Dunno..i kinda wondered that,
Posted by guest, Mon Aug-28-00 08:04 AM
myself...my friend TEXAS says its part of the world ending..on a similar note...the source awards brawl might be a blessing in disguise....Its obvious that these fools do not know how to act...this shit wouldn't of happened in the late 80's when groups like P.E.,DE LA and ATCQ were the shit...hopefully the music will get back to that.

Young Isa - The }> 's brotha from another motha.
21488, RE: I Dunno..i kinda wondered that,
Posted by guest, Tue Aug-29-00 07:09 AM
HOPEFULLY. A LOT OF FOLKS WOULD LIKE TO SAY THATTHE MUSIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT BUT IT DOES!
21489, RE: I Dunno..i kinda wondered that,
Posted by spirit, Tue Sep-12-00 05:35 PM
but all the concert shootings happened in the 80s...you almost never hear about anyone getting shot or stabbed at a rap concert any more...sadly, in the 80s, that was a little too prevalent.

anyway, i think that what happened was, hip-hop used to be a closer knit community. i believe it was chuck d who spoke on how whodini sat him down and explained a lot of the major label game...just read an ice t article where he explained how him and kane explained the record game to a young jay z, who went on to learn from all their mistakes business-wise. nowadays, cats just come out of the blue. i mean, you think somebody mentored Nelly? so, you know, it's a matter of older rap veterans pulling aside the young cats and schooling em...as well as labels not signing people who are like, total menaces to society and show no sign of changing just cause they can rap well (i mean, mysonne was still robbing cabs after he got his deal, rigth? that's something that the a&r guy should have talked to him about: "yo, you don't have to rob cabs, that's what we gave you an advance to live on for" *sigh*).

Spread love,

Spirit

http://www.theamphibians.com
Brand spanking new mothereffing audio just added 9/7/2000

"Fresh is the word." - Vice Presidential nominee Joseph Lieberman, when asked to describe his feelings on the songs at http://www.theamphibians.com

"What, are you fucking kidding me? Prison, of course." - John Gotti, when asked whether he'd rather be banned from http://www.theamphibians.com or stay in prison another 10 years.

blackplanet name: alanpage
AIM: alanpage7
e-mail: alanpage@blackplanet.com

"sleeping on the cizzurb: the homeless album" coming soon. hahah
21490, RE: Thug Idolization
Posted by Iltigo, Tue Aug-29-00 11:03 AM
aight yall heres my 2 cents:

The idolization of "thugd" is larger than a black thing, or a community thing. Its apart of American pop-culcture to root for the bad guy. (Lets face facts people we are Americans no matter what dead prez says) Anyway, rooting for the "bad-guy" has been apart of American culture long before hip-hop or anything like it came about. THe idea of the person that bucks at authority and does as they please is sexy and dangerous, and fun...to spectators. I mean look at how popular pulp-fiction books like Ice-Burg Slim, and Black Gangsta effetced us. WE love the bad-guy. He taps into our basic instict of freedom from authoity and such.

NOW...the problem with all this damn freedom is the bad-guys, "thugs" don't know what to do with it, and they'll do anything to anybody that gets in the way of their freedom. (killing, pushiong poison, etc.) In the black community, with the inception of crack-cocaine (sorry it ha to be said) the bad-guy got a little more violent, and a lot greedier. With hip-hop the bad-guy had a larger voice and could get a larger audience (everybody just wants to be heard). So with these two things hip-hop and the decline of the inner-city black community, the "thug" was born and due to our basic instincts as AMericans and consumers of pop-culture we eat it up!!!

NOW what is to be done, to that I don't know. We can't sit and sit on our hands waiting for THE black leader to come and fix shit. Just start at home (literally to some of you guys) with your kids and steer them the right way.

Well thats all for now I hope that made sence to you

peace,

Il

***God, grant me the serninity to accept the things I cannot change. Courage to change the htings I can. And Wisdom to know the difference.***

***As a general rule of thumb, people are STUPID!! It is your responsibility as an intelligent person to take advantage of this at every possible opprotunity!!!***

NSSSSBE SSSSSSUUUUU!!!! Region ONE WHAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!
21491, RE: Thug Idolization
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 03:31 AM
well said brotha!
21492, Very Well Said...
Posted by Wise_Is_The_Name, Thu Aug-31-00 04:07 AM
I'm working now...so I can't add on as much as I'd like...but very good indeed.

Wise without the Seven.