Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: What Are We? Part II
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21423&mesg_id=21436
21436, RE: What Are We? Part II
Posted by Nettrice, Fri Sep-08-00 06:08 AM
>WHAT ARE YOU DEDICATED TO?
Using the arts and technology to create environments in which disenfanchised people can empower themselves. Personally, staying true to my goal to be free.

>HOW DOES THIS MANIFEST IN YOUR LIFE?
I am a Multimedia Center Director in Roxbury, MA. I am starting a nonprofit that will use art and technology to encourage youth and community development.

>WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THIS?
My 11th grade English teacher gave me "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" and I began to seek out information on Black people who were revolutionaries in their time and study history not being taught in school. In high school, I was gifted and enjoyed using my art to help children in the local hospital. I volunteered almost everyday for three years.

Art and technology was my ticket to college (tuition free). I learned that giving back meant more to me than working just for money. I became a zeitgeist (spirit of the times) by teaching art and technology to youth in community centers over a decade ago. Encouraging people to express themselves through art had a tremendous effect on my life. It allowed me to find a path or direction and create a career for myself.

>WHAT HELPS YOU?
I feel spiritually connected to a higher power. I have experienced miracles in my life that encouraged me to live my dreams. I have learned to be impeccable with my word, not take anything personally, never assume and do my best. By staying focused on my vision to use art/tech to bridge the digital divide, I am able to live a purposeful life.

>WHAT GETS IN THE WAY?
I am hard-working but often closed to other people. I don't like to be distracted but sometimes that can be good for me. I have a hard time maintaining personal relationships. I am intelligent but often intolerant of people who are not aware of things. I am pioneering but often cautious because I don't want to veer off my path. This society values superficial, materialistic things and not always the positive, empowering efforts. It is hard to co-exist with people who are conditioned to strive for false power or expect that because I am Black and a woman I can't have power or peace.

>WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED SO FAR?
I have learned that other people's priorities or preferences does not matter. I can have personal power and freedom. I can achieve my goals and fulfill my vision with perseverance, conviction, determination and knowledge of self.

>WHAT IS THE GREATEST JOY?
When I can see the effects of my work I feel happy. When I know that I have made a difference I am at peace.

>WHAT IS THE GREATEST SORROW?
Despite the domestication or negative conditioning of the planet, I can keep moving forward. I can't seem to find that special guy who is secure enough in himself to not be intimidated by my work. I am just seeing the results of my efforts over the last ten years and I preparing to experience things in new ways. My soon-to-be nonprofit will help hundreds of community centers in the US in 2001-2002. This makes me happy.

>WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING?
I explore my spirituality and value solitude. I meditate, focus on my chakras, and pray. I try to eat healthy and work out three times a week. I feel in tune with my spiritual and non-spiritual guides. These guides help me to see the path. I know that my efforts and sacrifices are worthwhile.

>WHAT'S NEXT?
My next challenge is learning how to become interdependent and perhaps allow someone inside my personal world. I am looking to move beyond my fears and share my life with someone special.

Thank you for this post :)

Peace!

"No matter who you are or what your age may be, if you want to achieve permanent, sustaining success, the motivation that will drive you toward that goal must come from within." - Ultramagnetic MCs