Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: What Are We? Part II
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21423&mesg_id=21429
21429, RE: What Are We? Part II
Posted by Hot_Damali, Thu Aug-31-00 07:35 AM
>WHAT ARE YOU DEDICATED TO?
>Helping children? The environment?
>Animals? Political action? Social
>change? Eliminating racism?
>To what "cause" have you
>dedicated your heart?

I belong to an organization called Soka Gakkai International (www.sgi-usa.org)...it's a Buddhist organization whose main goal is world peace...using humanistic education as a vehicle towards that goal...

I'm also in the process of starting a program to help young inner-city (mostly Jersey City) girls (Ages 10-15) empower themselves...learn about womanhood..understand themselves and their environment...just basic enrichment stuff.

>HOW DOES THIS MANIFEST IN YOUR
>LIFE?
>Part time volunteer? Full time work?
> Moment to moment awareness?
> What do you do
>with your dedication?

In the American organization, I am a Group Leader in Jersey City...I help plan Buddhist meetings, visit members' homes to chant with them and encourage them, give people rides to various meetings, and generally just do whatever I can to help out and gain a better understanding of Buddhism and how it relates to my life.

>WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THIS?
>What's the story behind it?
>What events or person or
>book brought it to your
>attention? What inspired you?

I was dating a guy who chanted...I used to always ask him what he was doing and why...he explained to me that Buddhism is about learning to become unshakably happy and enjoying your life through good times and bad...and also teaching others to do the same. He took me to a meeting at someone's house...the energy inthe room...the sincerity of the people I met...the common sense of the philosphies...all of that contributed to me wanting to practice...

>WHAT HELPS YOU?
>What qualities of heart and mind
>serve you best in this
>work?

Mostly the compassion and fascination that I have for people, my sensitivity, love of learning and understanding other cultures, and the basic desires to see others happy

Who or what,
>external to you, has helped
>you to perform this work
>or dedicate yourself to this
>goal?

The guidance of Daisaku Ikeda, reading the writings of Nichiren Daishonin, and the incredibly strong and wise Buddhist women that help me and encourage me to keep going on a daily basis..

>WHAT GETS IN THE WAY?
>What qualities do you find in
>yourself that make the dedication
>more difficult?

the main one is my laziness...I'm supposed to chant morning and evening...most of the time I don't get up in the morning in time to chant then leave for work...or I'll not call people back or neglect passing on important info...

I'm working so hard to conquer it...also my arrogance gets in the way sometimes too...

Who or
>what, external to you, has
>put up roadblocks or made
>the path more difficult?

just basically negative forces that exist in the universe...not really anybody trying to stop me directly

>WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED SO FAR?
>What lessons has this dedication brought
>you?

I've learned that I am in complete control of everything that happens to me, good or bad. That causes (actions) I've made in the past determine what happens to me today..that causes that I make today, will determine my future. Every minute choice is crucial..it sends your life on another path.

I've learned that the true purpose of my human life is to become immeasurably happy before I die...and that true happiness is not material...it's internal.

I've learned tons more but don't have the time to type it all out...

>WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING?
>What nourishes you in your dedication?
> Where do you find
>your inspiration to continue?

Mostly the writings of Nichiren Daishonin (www.gosho.net) and the various writings of Daisaku Ikeda. Both are extremely wise, profound, and inspirational.

Also from other Buddhist members and leaders...

Damali

Underground Railroad hosted by Jay Smooth (okayplayer JSmooth995)
The best hiphop show you will ever hear!
Featuring DJs 3D, EmSki, and Monk One
Saturdays Midnite-2am
WBAI 99.5 FM
live stream on www.hiphopmusic.com

"A pill a day keeps the obstetrician away." - me