Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthis is a good post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21423&mesg_id=21426
21426, this is a good post
Posted by guest, Thu Aug-31-00 05:35 AM
I have been thinking about posting something like this for a while, but I was always forget when I'm on the boards. we should all be sharing our experiences and beliefs so that we can help each other to be activists.

>WHAT ARE YOU DEDICATED TO?

Fixing up the cities. We need to figure how to help the inner city and create quality places for people of color to live in without pushing them out so that rich whites can move in instead.

>
>HOW DOES THIS MANIFEST IN YOUR
>LIFE?

I'm still in school so I'm always taking some class on urban issues.
I think its important to volunteer and be involved in my community. I volunteer with tutoring programs in the city I go to school. This is because it is so important to reach out to children and give them hope. I value highly the education I received and want to help other people gain access to these resources.
I'm looking for jobs in non-profit organizations in cities. I want to work at a Community Development Corp., eventually go back to get a masters, create an organization that will provide effective economic suppor in the inner city.

>
>WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THIS?

I have always been fascinated by cities. The people that live in them, the culture formed by them, and the politics behind them.
I think it comes from where I grew up. I'm from the Bronx and have never looked down upon the neighborhood I grew up in. But I went boarding school in NH for four years. I was surrounded by rich, ignorant people that assumed I dodged bullets every night at my crib. Being stuck up in the woods for my high school years, I came to value the Bronx, and cities in general because they're just so hype compared to the suburbs and the country. But you know the ghetto is just fucked up and we have to figure out how to help it.

>What events or person or
>book brought it to your
>attention?

I always had ideas from back when I was like 16 that I was "going to save the cities." I felt I sounded kind of stupid cuz how many people you know are going to make an impact like that. But then I read William Julius Wilson's article in the NY Times Magazine called, "When Work Disappears". He talked about how because manufacturing industry left, many blacks were assed out and didn't have jobs. Work is supposed to provide regularity, and sense of worth, and money. Blacks don't have that and shit goes downhill.
His book was my first introduction into urban policy and sociology. Now, I don't agree with any thing dude says but at the time, I was amazed. I began to realize there were solutions out there and I was going to find one.

>
>
>WHAT HELPS YOU?

I'm still young and in school so I haven't been able to make an impact yet. But what helps me continue to learn and help out my community thus far has been my passion. It is important to have a strong drive. When you deeply care about something, you will do it regardless of bullshit that goes on around it. I also have optimism to kep me going because even when bad things happen and I sometimes feel like I'm geting no where, I know that eventually, it'll make a difference

Who or what,
>external to you, has helped
>you to perform this work
>or dedicate yourself to this
>goal?

I don't like thinking that education is the only way to get something but for me, it has made it a whole lot easier. Having access to a prestigious university has made anything else I want in life much easier to get. Because I am in college, my opportunities are that much greater. It has mad eit seem so much more realistic to me that I can make a difference. So I know that next year when I'm looking for a job, people will hire me and I can begin to make changes.

>
>WHAT GETS IN THE WAY?

Honestly, part of me is still stuck on the elitism that I grew up sround that tells me I should be out there making money. Many people I know have that mentality that you need to make your scrilla and then go and help your people afterwards. Making money is tempting and I wonder if next year I will take a job at some corporation instead.
But I know what I need to do to make the changes I want so I will try hard to stick with it.

This might sound like a copout but time is always a big roadblock. And school. I sometimes wish I could stay with my kids longer after school, or hang out with them on the weekends but I don't always have the time. So I get mad myself for not doing all that I could be for New Haven.

>
>WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED SO FAR?
>
Damn. Most of the things I have learned have been negative. That the govt will never allow effective change to take place. That there will always be an inherent battle in trying to fix the ghetto.
I learned this shit will not be easy. I will probably never make a national impact like I once thought.
But, some positive things are that there are people already fixing shit up. There are people that make an impact on our communities daily and receive no recognition. We are doing things to clean shit up in neighborhoods. People will always be there to help out.

>WHAT IS THE GREATEST JOY?

I am still amazed by cities. I don't care what anyone says, this may sound real corny but cities make me happy. There are still hundreds of cities I haven't seen yet so I can always go to one, and try to make sense of it. There is always something you can learn from one versus another.
In my other activities, the reason I chose to work with kids is that you can help so much. I get to see them when they get a good grade. And play double dutch with my girls. They help me so much because when I am with them I am stress free.

WHAT IS THE GREATEST SORROW?

I haven't had major setbacks yet. What bothers me most is when I try so hard at certain things and shit goes against me. Like working for the past two years on a campaign against police brutality in New Haven only to have it turned down by the city officials. Most of the stuff I see in my neighborhood makes me sad but I also encourages me.

>
>WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING?
The fact that I know that eventually I will make a difference is enough for me right about now.
And I constantly meet people that are dedicated in the same ways I am. When I meet people that are down for the cause like me, it makes me happy. Even when their focus is a little different. Like someone that is down for improving schools, I knwo that person is making an impact on shit I want to change too. And no matter what people say, there is always someone there that is trying to help too.
The burnout is something I will need help with from other okplayers. I haven't had to worry about it yet b/c I haven't been doing this full time or anything. I pray next year I don't stress too much or get overwhlemed.

WHAT'S NEXT?
I'm about to graduate and fuck shit up! I'm still in the developing stages but I always see myself involved in volunteer orgs in my community. And participating in political struggles.
Then, I will take the steps I think are necessary in order to help the most people.

I hope this helps people. Anyone that wants to talk to me can email, and if anyone can help me, email.

This life is temporary but the soul is eternal, separate the real from the lie, let me learn you. --Mos Def