Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: What Are We? Part II
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21423&mesg_id=21424
21424, RE: What Are We? Part II
Posted by guest, Wed Aug-30-00 05:04 PM
>WHAT ARE YOU DEDICATED TO?
Being good, fighting the good fight, etc. I know that's pretty general, but I haven't quite found the activist niche. Right now I'm pretty much dedicated to improving myself so that later on I'll have more power to improve the things around me. I'd say that I'm dedicated to becoming the best I can be. Sounds cliche, but I yam what I yam.
In the near future my agendas include bike advocacy, diet/nutrition/health awareness, possibly becoming a Big Brother, and educating folks on the little things that make a difference (as usual), and maybe finding a part-time job during school that has more bearing on the community than making sure Safeway has an ample supply of toilet paper on aisle 12.

>HOW DOES THIS MANIFEST IN YOUR LIFE?
I constantly keep my eyes and ears open for anything that I can use for personal gain. I try to avoid things that I feel don't make me better like TV, drugs, etc. I don't make excuses, and I try to give everyone an honest chance at showing who they are before I pass judgement. I also make an effort to be as honest as possible, and to share what little I've learned in my 20 years with others while taking in the knowledge that other people have to share.

>WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THIS?
Inspiration comes from so many places. My parents, my great uncle the 90 yr old cowboy/rancher, my grandparents, family from all over, people I've met from all over N America, so much knowledge from so many people it's amazing once I think about it. Nietzsche is a big influence, as is the Bible (even though I'm not a Christian, much can be learned from it), the Tao Te Ching, Catch-22, Kurt Vonnegut novels, the Lord of the Rings, watching people, long solo bike rides on lonely country rodes, reading something new, staring at random things like a misguided monk lost in a concrete wilderness, family history, okayplayer posts, long lost memories, and a myraid of other sources.

To be honest I have no idea how I got here, it's a mystery to me how a boy born in the Montana plains ended up as an aspiring philosopher and wannabe entrepreneur in the NW.

>WHAT HELPS YOU?
The desire to work hard and the mindset that every job, once started, should be done right or not done at all. Music too, I love to unwind or get up with the right music playing. Family helps too, knowing that I have a group of people spread out over the country that love me and support whatever I do is a tremendous help and a blessing.

>WHAT GETS IN THE WAY?
This question is kind of tricky because I try as hard as I can not to make excuses for myself, so I suppose the only real answer to that question would be nothing. Nothing seperates me from my goal, I just haven't gotten there yet or found a way around the obstacle yet. Hmmmmmm, like Sarte said, there is always a choice. Even though things may seem like they are in the way, there is always something you can do. So really, the only thing that gets in the way is our (or rather, MY) inability to figure out the right way to approach a problem.

>WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED SO FAR?
Humans are the at the same time to most wonderful and most awful creature to ever walk the Earth. That's one thing. The most important thing: It's all grey area.

>WHAT IS THE GREATEST JOY?
Success. Reaching the goal and seeing the planning and hard work of a goal come to fruitation.

>WHAT IS THE GREATEST SORROW?
Reaching a goal and knowing that the journey is over.
Oh yeah, and getting rejected by would-be girlfriends sucks too.

>WHAT KEEPS YOU GOING?
Sometimes nothing. I've been known in the past to simply abandon things that were important to me. That's also where some of the greatest sorrows come from. I hope to never do that again.
Inspiration comes from.... everywhere and anywhere. Books, music, friends, nature, deep thought, disasters, anywhere and everywhere. That's why you've got to always be aware of your surrounding so you don't miss anything. Easier said than done.
Burnout is usually prevented by never taking anything too seriously, which is extremely hard at times, especially with the things most important to me (like grades, relationships, jobs, etc). I've always had a gift for being able to step back, relax for a bit, assess a situation, and figure out how to proceed (sometimes with success, sometimes not, but that's life).

>WHAT'S NEXT?
I have a list, actually. That's my way, I write things down, especially goals. Unlike other times though, I've added a few new elements to my life that I believe will prevent me from giong at them half-speed, and will hopefully prevent the eventual apathy/procrastination that has plagued previous projects.

----------------------------------------
error 404 - signature not found