Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Good point
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21378&mesg_id=21401
21401, RE: Good point
Posted by Brownsugar, Wed Sep-13-00 09:34 AM
I Found out about a program called, "Chicago Communities In schools". When we were at the last lsc meeting, the coordinator of this program passed out literature to all of the members. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to help children and parents by supplying social service agencies, mental health counseling, asthma screenings, gang and violence prevention programs and tutoring and mentoring.

After I read all of the suggestions here, I did realize that intimidation of "higher authorities", could also be a problem. I think I am making slow progress. Last year there was never any parents at the meetings. When I personally handed out flyers to the parents, I did get a large group of Hispanics to turn out. Now, we are going to talk to the principal of the school about serving refreshments at the next meeting, such as pop, coffee, donuts and potato chips. We have about three more weeks before the next meeting. I will personally pass out the flyers again, and let the parent know that there will be refreshments at the next meeting. Yes, it's bribary, but we got to do whatever it takes. Hopefully, the principal will go along with our refreshment suggestions. Once we can get the races together, then I can see, incorporating further suggestions. First I got to try to get the parents to come to the meetings!!!