Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectOur combined Wu-Tang style
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21378&mesg_id=21394
21394, Our combined Wu-Tang style
Posted by guest, Tue Sep-12-00 11:05 AM
...meant in the martial art sense, not the musical sense...

Okay, we've got ideas to create more social and/or club atmosphere, that could either involve holding meetings in the neighborhood, or just changing the way things are run.

We've got ideas about calling home to invite cats.
We've got ideas about representin' Spanish, and if I may add, representing West-Africa helps out too.

I never lacked attendance at meetings, but when I came into "power" (whatever that is) I started doing Asante greetings and all that. Doing my speeches in Spanish (etc.) I suppose it helps that I speak Spanish and have access to African History experts, but giving everyone a cultural megadose really breaks up that "all too white" atmosphere, you know?

Try combinations of this stuff.

And lastly, I recommend you take over.

I'm serious.

Becoming President or Chairperson opens the door for alot. You're combatting what I used to call "good dad syndrome" --alot of obnoxious parents who want to be good moms and dads take over, and have absolutely no clue, 'cause they're not there for progress, but to be good moms and dads.

We can all succumb to it at times, it's not an "evil" thing, per se. It's just unfortunate. What separates the good from the bad is that the salvagable people either realize when they're suffering from the syndrome, or accept and change when you tell them.

Take over. Practice a new style of meeting. And let everything new and good shine through you.