Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21378&mesg_id=21384
21384, RE: WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Nettrice, Sat Sep-09-00 05:32 AM
History is everything. As an educational coordintor of an after school program, I had to deal with this dilemma- it was difficult to get Black parents to come out. We had a yearly mandatory intake and a mandatory parent meeting and Black parents did come. This was out opportunity to survey them, allow them to discuss their issues and plan future meetings with them in mind. Latino parents came when the sessions were in Spanish.

Black parents came when sessions addressed their needs. Generally, Black parents come to school when their kid is in trouble, not to meet with other parents. They go to church or other community gatherings but school is part of the bigger system-the system that traditionally (in the US) looks out for white people.

You and your colleagues will have to come up with creative ways to get Black parents to think that their participation means something to the system. Give them their own forum. Offer a computer class or job/personal and community/home development seminars. Plan regular get-togethers like potlucks, holiday parties or cookouts. When I offered parent workshops on how to upgrade and fix PCs most of the partipants were Black parents. I had the most attended workshops of the year.

Once you have established a group of Black parent leaders, you can start addressing issues related to improving their kids' school experience. It's a shame that it has to be that way but it is what it is. You all have to be committed to developing the Black community! One meeting for school elections just won't do it for us. We have to provide an environment in which parents can empower themselves.

Peace!

"No matter who you are or what your age may be, if you want to achieve permanent, sustaining success, the motivation that will drive you toward that goal must come from within." - Ultramagnetic MCs