Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectWHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21378&mesg_id=21378
21378, WHY WON'T BLACK PARTICIPATE
Posted by Brownsugar, Fri Sep-08-00 05:59 AM
I am a member of the local school council in my community. I have been on the council, only since school started, in September. Our goal as council members is to make sure that the school budget for our school is balanced, make sure the children have all the proper necessities for a good education. We also look forward to the parents input at these meetings.

At the beginning of this school year...I wrote and passed out flyers to as many parents as I could. The principal, saw to it that each child took home a flyer, to give to their parents. This particular school is 50 percent Hispanic and 50 percent African American and other races of African decent. For once, in a long while...we had parents at the meeting. Out of about 30 parents, there was only 4 black parents. When I walked in...I felt very embarrassed for my black people.

I am very disgusted, right now. I don't know what it is gonna take to get the black parents to participate. Please don't get me wrong...I was happy to see the turnout from the Hispanic people and I am definetly concerned about their childrens education. I know that the Hispanic people helped me win the election. And I do promise to help everyone equally.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my own people to participate, in their own childrens education???...This is so embarrassing!!!