Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI'm guilty.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21352&mesg_id=21355
21355, I'm guilty.
Posted by Blackmagicallydelicious, Tue Sep-12-00 03:12 AM
I used to sell cds back in the day. One day, this ultra-suburban lady walks up to me with her 9 to 12-year-old son and asks me if Coolio's Gangsta Paradise was appropiate for him. I politely pointed out the parental advisory and listening station. But she stands there giving me a "you're-Black-and-should-know" look. So I told her yes, it was.

Plus, I know I've sold some hip hop and rock to a bunch of little Jimmy Wannabebadasses. I got a kick out it. Thinking about how their mommy and daddy will freak when they walk in their room and hear their kids singing "Who's that coming through my window, pooooow, nobody nooooow!" I still get a little kick out of it.

But, it's up to the parents to monitor what kids listen to and watch. And eventually they should trust them enough to know if they are easily influenced or not.

By the way, I was also that kid who, at 11, was buying R rated movie tickets for myself and the friends who couldn't get in. But, I was a grown looking kid, still no one bothered to ID me. I admit, not being ID'd for ANYTHING while I was growing up did make me grow up faster, but my mother wasn't really trying to control me much. I was that latchkey kid whose babysitter was cable tv.

Okay, I made my point. Plus, I'm sleepy. Yawn! :o

Giving you true broken toilets since 2000.

September: Spit 4? Okay, I'll try it...

You point and laugh and say I dress funny.
While you sport Japanimated silk shirts and still look bummy.
But it's not about my clothes.
Cause I could still be the shit while I rock your great-granny's wardrobe.

Quotes start heah...
*"Bush proves that he is a man who will best serve the people...their last meal."--Jon Stewart
*"While you sittin' over there drinkin' that Snapple/You need to put your head between my thighs and start bobbin' for apples."--Brown Skin Lady to Naps
*"We see through your voodoo, just like Eve's Bayou, you dealing with the Blackmagic..." Talib Kweli

do damage for damage be
unpredictable with map and compass
& weapons pressed against the cheek
--Sun Rise Missions, from Earthquakes and Sun Rise Missions by Haki R. Madhubuti.