Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectCaryl Phillips?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21317&mesg_id=21351
21351, Caryl Phillips?
Posted by REDeye, Fri Sep-22-00 05:23 AM
Anyone read this author? He's a Caribbean-born writer (I think he makes his home in England now). Very deep brother.

NATURE OF BLOOD weaves three seemingly unrelated stories across several time periods: a young Jewish girl whose family tries to protect her from the Holocaust, a man recently relocated to the newly formed state of Israel, and the backstory to Othello as he arrives in 16th century Venice. The result is a powerful and original examination of the roots of racism. The merging of themes in the three stories is challenging and at times hard to read, but if you give it a chance, I think you will find yourself rewarded.

STATE OF INDEPENDENCE is about a young man who returns to his Caribbean homeland after being gone too many years. After leaving on scholarship to study in England, and staying away longer than expected, he returns believing he has something to offer his troubled homeland. But old friends, and even his family, treat him as an outsider. His first novel (I think), it's a good meditation on what it means to go home again.

His other books include Cambridge, Higher Ground and Crossing the River (which is in my "to read" pile). He is a serious writer who takes big chances. Even when he doesn't quite hit the mark, the result is always thought-provoking and fascinating.

RED
(giving you true lies since 1991)