Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthe dispossessed and things fall apart
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21317&mesg_id=21350
21350, the dispossessed and things fall apart
Posted by guest, Fri Sep-22-00 12:15 AM
if you've read either one (the disposessed by ursula k leguin or things fall apart by chinua achebe), try reading the other and compare them.

the disposessed is about a socialst/anarchist society that splits from the capitalist society and settles on the desert moon. (it's science fiction, the moon is like a small desert planet with some water but very barren, it orbits the larger, more opulescent (nice word huh) capitalist world) anyway the story is set a few hundred years after the two societies split and deals with the clash of cultures when a scientist from the moon goes back to the old world.

things fall apart deals with the clash of european and african cultures. (yeah i read it, i just wrote too much already to do anymore plot summary...just look at all my qoutes below! I just typed all that. damn. i gotta get some friends that call me back on a thursday night.)

oh and i think people should be looking for all kinds of books cos even if you read some ignorant shit at least you know what you're going to have to deal with when you talk to people on the street. somebody else who reads that ignorant shit will believe it so you better have a strong argument prepared for any occasion (if you want to be political day to day...i'm not saying YOU should...please just calm the fuck down. each one teach one, right?...peace)

by the way, i'm not exactly new here, i just don't post too often. on the other hand i am new since i don't know anyone on here personally. nice to meet you. -781/egolisp

"the truth hurts cos the truth is all there is" -HBMS

"It is only to the individual that a soul is given. And the high destiny of the individual is to serve rather than to rule, or to impose himself in any other way." -Albert Einstein

"Savages can only raise their minds to the conception of a being a few degrees superior to themselves, and captain cook was more powerful, wiser, and, we may add, more virtuous than most of their so call 'Deities.'" (566)

"There can be no doubt that, as an almost universal rule savages are cruel; but we must remember that they are less sensitive to pain than those who spend much of their time in-doors, and that in many cases they inflict upon themselves also the most horrible tortures." (568)

"...savages have the characters of children with the passions and strength of men." (571)

"But after making every possible allowance for savages, it must I think be admitted that they are inferior, morally as well as in other respects, to the more civilized races." (571)

"It would be easy to fill a volume with the evidence of excessive stupidity recorded by different travellers." (572)

-Sir John Lubbock (This is from a book titled PREHISTORIC TIMES published 1890. If you want to see some obscure works go to a public university and check the old old stacks)

this is my website, though there's not much on it yet:
http://hometown.aol.com/egolisp/myhomepage/profile.html