Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: 3 rights make a left
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21229&mesg_id=21237
21237, RE: 3 rights make a left
Posted by k_orr, Wed Sep-27-00 09:20 AM

>It may be naive to believe
>in a some utopian concept
>that we may actually be
>able to co-exist peacefully.

Peaceful co-existing is the norm. It's the sharing of power, the leveling of the playing field is what we're really talking about.

>BUT, I refuse to assume tactics
>which I believe to be
>wrong, in order to reach
>my ends.I understand the DESIRE
>to turn the tables--but I
>think it would be somewhat
>of a hollow victory.

I don't know if this is turning the tables. Separatism is leaving the country, or taking your neighborhood back, and doing your own thing. Black folks are not interested in running the lives of white folks. We are not interested in sending in our police into your neighborhoods, or making your children learn about Afrikan kings. That is the fundamental difference, it's what makes white folks nervous. But as Cube said, "Who are they to be equal to?".

But if black neighborhoods could develop our own self sufficient, or at the very least able to compete on a large scale in this capitalist economy, that would be a solid victory. It would be nice if we didn't need Proctor and Gamble or Ford to come to our colleges to recruit. When am I going to see Freeman Motors, Jones semiconductors, Mandela cellular phones...

>I remember struggling with this idea
>when I first explored feminism.I
>never felt comfortable bringing MEN
>down in order to elevate
>myself.

Again, black power has nothing to do with the oppression of white people. I don't know why folks are getting it twisted.

>You need to define your own
>liberation--in your own terms...

Which is what separatism is about.

Why do I sound like i'm defending separtism?

k. orr