Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: 3 rights make a left
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21229&mesg_id=21235
21235, RE: 3 rights make a left
Posted by Shimmy, Tue Sep-26-00 08:00 AM
I believe that most people are "racist" in that they classify people based on their outward appearance.
Now, do they use that mindset to perpetuate the oppression of a certain group?That is where is the evil sets in...
I am conscious of trying to assess people based on their individual behavior, to be aware of unjustly grouping someone based on perceived culture and heritage.
I know this approach does nothing to address the injustices that people may have experienced in the past, or continue to suffer under.

This is the best I can do as an individual.I strive not to fall under the bad habits of a system which hurts everyone.

It may be naive to believe in a some utopian concept that we may actually be able to co-exist peacefully.
BUT, I refuse to assume tactics which I believe to be wrong, in order to reach my ends.I understand the DESIRE to turn the tables--but I think it would be somewhat of a hollow victory.

I remember struggling with this idea when I first explored feminism.I never felt comfortable bringing MEN down in order to elevate myself.I always felt I wanted to celebrate the qualities I saw in men--in order that they could be freed up to be better people. I felt this would be the true beauty of a matriarchal society.

You need to define your own liberation--in your own terms...

Shoot--gotta get back to work....

Shim