Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subject3 rights make a left
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21229&mesg_id=21234
21234, 3 rights make a left
Posted by k_orr, Tue Sep-26-00 06:00 AM
>
>
>What good can possibly come of
>your "reversal?" The majority of
>white society would be punished
>for a something they didn't
>do.

We aren't talking about past crimes, but current ones. When you really think about it, it was only a handful of people compared to the general population that were in the slave trade or owned slaves, but all whites benefitted, and all black lost.

Nowadays you have lots of racist institutional policies and structures that damage the lives of colored people in this country (as well as abroad). These aren't the guys with shaved heads and army boots, but the ones in the halls of governments and at the corporate boardrooms. In the ol day's, Massa had to provide food, shelter, and medical care for his investment, now they just give you minimum wage, and you fend for yourself.

White folks of today, of this very second, are often guilty of being racist, and continuing racist practices. The perfect example is urban sprawl. No one really tells you that the reason that they move out of the city is to be around white folks, but the statistical data will tell you that as soon as there is 1 black household per 8 white households, the neighborhood within one generation the neighborhood is all black. They use euphemisms like less crime and better school systems, but when you study the problem, you realize what is really going on.

I live in Austin, capital of Texas, and a very segregated city. But what's so innocent about the segregation here is that they can use the "market", effectively pricing out blacks and browns from better housing and better education, trapping them in the same cycle. Couple that with marketing and lack of good public transportation, and you have the recipe to keep a people oppressed.

And this isn't something you can protest about, it's like trying to get oxygen out of the air because it promotes cell death. The "system" at each and every point, positions itself against african americans.

At every level of success, social, economic, cultural, people of color (Latinos, Asians, Other Afrikans, Native Americans) are kept out by design.

So my main point is to stop thinking that things got better after slavery ended, or after the voting rights act, or after brown vs education. There are things going on today, right this very second, that are against the interests of all people of color in this country.

I think that you're
>forgetting that the majority of
>people aren't racist, and don't
>prejudge people based on their
>skin colour.

wrong. the vast majority of people do, even in the black community. Racism is part and parcel of being Amerikkkan. As americans we can not escape it.

So in order
>to punish the minority you
>would go after everyone? Doesn't
>sound too effective.

Efficacy is not an issue, and it never is.

>Also, do you think that most
>blacks would enjoy this change?

I've seen black folks enjoy power within their own communities. I've seen black folks enjoy not having to answer to any white people.

>Putting others through what they
>went through? Sinking down to
>the level of 1950s segregationists?
>In essence becoming the type
>of society that they have
>struggled to dispose?

power, don't confuse the issue with what society we want to become. Utopia does not exist. And if we have to choose btw me and you having power, I definitely want it.

I don't
>think anyone with a heart
>enjoys having a grip on
>someone like that.

Everyone has a heart. It pumps blood throughout the body. But does everyone consider each other at all times? No.

>Once again, you're forgetting something. Most
>men today don't have a
>thing to do with the
>men of the past who
>were guilty of forcing women
>into the above roles.

Please, most men would love that situation. It's just not PC to say it. This was the default setting in the world up until the 70's, and in most non-westernized countries it is still the rule.

I don't want to ruin your ideas about what our society should be like. In fact I prefer your version to the one offered. But we don't live in a world of rational actors.

peace
k. orr