Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Censorship: What Exactly Is "Taking It Too Far"?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21205&mesg_id=21209
21209, RE: Censorship: What Exactly Is "Taking It Too Far"?
Posted by Expertise, Thu Sep-28-00 08:43 AM
This isn't an issue of censorship. Far as I know the FTC has never stepped in and banned the video from being shown on national television. BET and other networks have the right to prohibit showing the video if they like. Although I haven't seen it, nor even listened to the song (I did catch the lyrics on OKP here somewhere), I'm sure they didn't want to show the video or play the song for the simple fact that it might create a negative response in the black community, aka "hip hop is going too far".

Also, one more thing. Artists don't decide what is popular among the public. The public decides what's popular among the public. People are not going to shell out money or waste their time on "art" that they don't like. Therefore, the artists' interpretation of the art is irrelevant; people are always going to see what they want to see regardless of who says differently.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship." - Alexander Tyler

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other." -Voltaire

"The assumption that spending more of the taxpayer's money will make things better has survived all kinds of evidence that it has made things worse. The black family- which survived slavery, discrimination, poverty, wars and depressions- began to come apart as the federal government moved in with its well-financed programs to "help." - Thomas Sowell

"Life is insensitive, and the truth can be highly offensive. To hide from either is to hide from the reality of life. Take pride in the fact that I am an equal opportunity offender. You today, someone else tomorrow. You have no constitutional right not to be offended." - Neal Boortz

Some of you still think America's a
democracy. Lemme break it down for
ya...

* Democracy:  Three wolves and a sheep
vote on the dinner menu.
* Democratically Elected Republic: Three
wolves and 2 sheep vote on which sheep's
for dinner. 
* Constitutional Republic: The eating of
mutton is forbidden by law, and the
sheep are armed.

The United States is a CONSTITUTIONAL
REPUBLIC. Not a democracy.

Yes....I am a PROUD Black Libertarian Conservative.