Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectTODAY'S RALLY WAS A SUCCESS!!!!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21171&mesg_id=21189
21189, TODAY'S RALLY WAS A SUCCESS!!!!
Posted by Dove, Sat Sep-30-00 06:13 PM
I'm so happy, excited, relaxed, calmed, hyped - all at the same time - today's events came off without a hitch - headz from every part of the Seattle/Tacoma Hip Hop community showed up, even some folks from Portland! We even recruited a few people off the street - including a group of young Christians who had just had a meeting nearby.
It was a lovely rainy Seattle day - I'd say about 100 or so people showed up, including media from local tv stations and newspapers. The police sat sedately in their vehicles with a few posted up underneath an awning on a nearby building. They never once approached any of us.
There was no drama, no arguing, no trouble at all - it was all about love, positivity, discussion of ideas and expression of frustrations related to recent incidents in the city.
People in attendence included:
Jasiri Media Group, Darkside Productions, Kutfather, The S.H.O.W., Kun Luv, Crazy Pinoy, Pak Pros, Seasick Records & Grafixx, OldDominion & Boom Bap Project, Mecca USA, Mr. Supreme, Prymetyme, Bobby Spoon, Julie Pilot from KUBE, Black Anger, Tribal Music, The Bohemian nightclub, F.T.S., DJ Topspin, 500 Years, and soooooooo many more - it was lovely!!
Okayplayers in attendence were Geologic and broke (both of the S.H.O.W.), brzlngrl and her friend who has no OKP name yet :-) and myself.
We made a vow to get together on a regular basis and to keep this unity solid - for the sake of ourselves, our community and our children. Everyone agreed that our first responsibility is with ourselves personally, then with our community, then in the bigger picture - but that it ALWAYS starts with ourselves and the example we set.
The speakers were all inspirational. This is the first time in my 18 years of being in the club circuit that I have seen anything of this calibur in our city.
Much love to everyone who put so much heart and energy into making this a success. I am grateful.
Dove
~Sheepish Lordess of Chaos~

"One day all them bags gon' get in your way..." Erykah

"You can't talk your way out of problems you behave yourself into" ~ S. Covey

Email: Tygereyz67@aol.com
Wanna paaaaaage me? Email up to 200 characters: Dove@myairmail.com