Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: okayplayer fund...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21130&mesg_id=21159
21159, RE: okayplayer fund...
Posted by unity, Mon Sep-25-00 09:13 AM
i am definitely still down for this!

i have been incog for a minute due to starting grad school and whatnot (which is incredible and i love it in case you were interested).

so why don't we start doing some research to find out which of our plans can really be made to fly.

Perhaps the first piece that needs to be determined, is how many okps we will REALLY have contributing to this. From there we can see if we want to have outside funders included in this project as well etc. etc.

Also, i think that there are ways that we can creatively combine the different ideas that we all have. For example, i am doing an independent study where i will be using hip-hop to educate young people in local schools and after-school programs around issues of economics, education, and empowerment. If similar programs were set up in different areas, they could be funded through the okayactivist fund. This way, we could support local hip-hop artists AND we could donate computers and/or scholarships to the programs/schools we visit as well.

i am a pretty ambitious broad-thinking person, so this idea may be too much for us to handle right now. Perhaps it is more of a long-term vision type of thing. We may want to start small by donating a computer and hopefully having some sort of educational component to go along with it.

So what do y'all think?

"You are the revolution,.....don't wait to see it on the 6 o'clock news. Bear witness to yourself."
--Wise_7

"theres' so much tension and hate in the world that the act of love to your neighbor is trully revolutionary...it's all about thinking differently than the mainstream concerns of now. "
--mayhem

"SO POWERFUL IS THE LIGHT OF UNITY THAT IT CAN ILLUMINATE THE WHOLE EARTH."
--Baha'u'llah