Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Has Technology Created Full-Democracy?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21058&mesg_id=21067
21067, RE: Has Technology Created Full-Democracy?
Posted by Expertise, Tue Oct-03-00 02:08 PM
Yes. Actually it has for decades now with the innovations of world-wide broadcasting. The fact that you can gain information on the other side of the world within a matter of minutes has revolutionized the world far more than the internet has. Television MADE the 60's, believe me.

The question actually should be, will people care?

Because lets be realistic: People collectively aren't interested in politics. They aren't interested in tonite's debates. They don't care about who's their representatives in their district, nor in their state legislature. Therefore, the real question isn't do they have a chance to take active participation in the process. They already have that. The question is how to get them interested in doing so. That I believe is harder than providing the opportunities.

Then the second question is, "How are you to make sure that they recieve is fact and not proporganda?" That's a blurry line.

I say it's impossible for both cases, especially the second question. That's why I am against democracy.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship." - Alexander Tyler

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other." -Voltaire

"The assumption that spending more of the taxpayer's money will make things better has survived all kinds of evidence that it has made things worse. The black family- which survived slavery, discrimination, poverty, wars and depressions- began to come apart as the federal government moved in with its well-financed programs to "help." - Thomas Sowell

"Life is insensitive, and the truth can be highly offensive. To hide from either is to hide from the reality of life. Take pride in the fact that I am an equal opportunity offender. You today, someone else tomorrow. You have no constitutional right not to be offended." - Neal Boortz

Some of you still think America's a
democracy. Lemme break it down for
ya...

* Democracy:  Three wolves and a sheep
vote on the dinner menu.
* Democratically Elected Republic: Three
wolves and 2 sheep vote on which sheep's
for dinner. 
* Constitutional Republic: The eating of
mutton is forbidden by law, and the
sheep are armed.

The United States is a CONSTITUTIONAL
REPUBLIC. Not a democracy.

Yes....I am a PROUD Black Libertarian Conservative.