Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: More Poor Black folks on our block??
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21018&mesg_id=21026
21026, RE: More Poor Black folks on our block??
Posted by guest, Thu Oct-05-00 04:08 AM
Peace,

The challenge that I have in this entire issue, is the perceived character of all people that live in the projects. I lived in project homes / been to project homes, in which the residents took/take care of their “spots.” To make it more simpler: What is the character of a “poor person?” I feel that when protesting something like moving residents from one place to a better place, the entire outcome should be considered; Are these working families? Are these families who take pride in their home, in themselves? What other resources are being offered to these families to assist them in moving forward in their economy? Whether it be training, employment, grants, HUD funding, Home care classes, etc.

“but then again... I know many families that should be moved away from this "spot" and be given a chance at safer and more pride filled environments...”

I agree, because there are some families who do not fall into the general stereotype of “project people.”

“But what is worse is that this is bandaid approach to a greater problem. The reason folks are in the projects in the first place is because the same system that put other folks in the suburbs
failed.”

I see that too, it being a “Band-Aid approach.” Systems should be set up in the communities,where more negative elements outweigh the positive elements, and as someone stated before,revise the living development; tearing down old housing structures, creating a more livable and modern structure, and providing educational, child care, and employment resources to those residents “wishing” to take up occupancy in that renewed area. In many areas, that is happening, however, the environments around the revamped areas, are not being touched.

But....

Once again, what is the entire intent?

On the other side of people in communities where they invest their time, money, and energy. I can understand the concern of value. Many times when people move and work towards ownership of property, they have a plan to sell, which means that they are adding on to the value of their property, or they are investing for a lifetime, which means that they want to make sure that a sense of security is kept.

Then you would consider....

Are both, the pople in the so-called "better" community, and the families in the so-called "poor" community being prepared for this move?

Peace

Q'nbei ;-)

~ I'm all out of change ~