Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectI think this is messed up
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=21018&mesg_id=21022
21022, I think this is messed up
Posted by k_orr, Wed Oct-04-00 01:16 PM

Not wanting to live next to poor people is pretty bad, because you assume that they are of low morals. This is what folks are really saying. I mean, if you're a doctor, would you feel bad if you moved into a neighborhood with lots of teachers and postal workers? It's definitely a class issue.

But what is worse is that this is bandaid approach to a greater problem. The reason folks are in the projects in the first place is because the same system that put other folks in the suburbs failed.

The best case scenario for these 40 families, is that living among folks who make more money, they manage to become more successful through osmosis? Perhaps the children will get better experiences in the classroom, but when they come home to the new spot, moms still can't break down a sentence into a subject and predicate.

I think putting poor people in with rich people, gives rich people to much damn credit, none of which they deserve.

My solution is to continue to address the concerns in the "projects" as opposed to spreading out the problem cases and hoping the "free market" will take care of them.

peace
k. orr