Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Ummmmmm
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20979&mesg_id=21009
21009, RE: Ummmmmm
Posted by illosopher, Sat Sep-30-00 03:25 PM
>the majority of americans eligible to
>vote are a minority...
>>>perhaps? explain...>>>

I meant to say based on empirical data the amount of people who are registered and vote are a monority to the nations population.

>the reason most people don't vote
>is because nothing changes...>

>>>that's an opinion. mine is that the reason folks don't vote comes from a variety of sources (inclufding what they percieve as what you say): apathy, ignorance of/to the issues, lack of access to information, lack of a candidate they are particularly pressed about, fear, intimidation...the list goes on>>>

I agree.

>>>regarding YOUR opinion. explain to me how you're going to change what happens in elections by not participating? you ever think part of the reason things DON'T change via elections is because folk don't vote? helluva catch 22.>>>

Boodah you keep missing my point fam, I'm not saying don't vote i'm saying don't treat voting like the end all be all... I'm saying we have to motivate people to do more than just vote, we have to build our own poltical parties, candidates, break the two party system, interests groups, etc.
I'm all about voting, my first line in this post is "I think voting is cool but..."

>and the main reason we do
>need more parties is that
>the 2 major parties are
>in pocket of the corporations...

>>>perhaps. personally i think that the more choices the better. a two party system DOES lead to what we have this time...two candidates that suck. but guess what, if there were 1000 candidates they might all still suck.>>>

I doubt that would be the case but i'd rather have a hundred bad chioces than two. Most industrialized countries have about 4 major parties(leftist, moderate liberal, moderate conservative and far right). I think that would be more equitiable and allow people to realy vote for their conscience and beliefs to put a someone they really are for in office not keep out someone they don't like.

>and they also give people mad
>lip service that makes it
>seem like they are conforming
>to thinking of the people
>but its just plain pandering...>

>>>fully agree. but that's the nature of politricks today...tell 'em what they want to hear. but this has nothing to do with you saying F*CK voting (and then turning around and saying that you're gonna vote).>>>

I agree with the fact that it's all politricks. I disagree (when ask say it has nothing do with my point), because it deals directly with my thesis of breaking the duopoly of political power in America. The reason why we get lip service is because the parties and corporation has all the power. So that say what we want not have to worry anything, cuz in the next election they'll win, or someone in their party, or the so-called other side. i sickens me that 2 groups decide who will hold most important offices in this country.

>do you think 300 million people
>can be divided into two
>political ideologies?

>>>not necessarily. but give me one candidate that is gonna satisfy everyone. the point is...take part. if that means running your damn self then do it. if it means preaching to high heaven regarding the pros and cons of each candidate...then do it. if it means getting together with a likeminded group of people and making sure that what YOU want is reflected in the candidate you pick...>>>

i agree, and right 2 groups control the political landscape of this country.

I'm not looking for someone that will please everyone...i'm saying let people have a voice if all the Presidential candidates had a chance to compete and GW still won i would say all good, but that not the situation.

I also plan to run for office soon in my home state of Pennsylvania i have a plethora of people behind me due to a lot connection i have made in Western PA, politcal scene. I started a think tank of young forward thinking Pennsylvanians and built a coalition from Pittsburgh to Philly. I'm all about positive action...