Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: who decides what's best to know
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20903&mesg_id=20964
20964, RE: who decides what's best to know
Posted by BooDaah, Thu Sep-14-00 12:01 PM
>and what in society's best interest
>is?

your local schoolboard i guess. which is why it's important to know what is being pumped into your kids hear for 8 hours a day. don't get me started on the power of the individual to influence the how and what of society. i just finished commenting on yet another player who wants to talk about not voting.

>a lot of what is taught
>in school is not really
>"factual"....

i concur with all this. my point is that as a parent you need to take an active role in your child's education and not be contempt to bitch about "they schools" cause they are YOUR schools too.

>It seems like everybody is so
>ready to believe that the
>schools teach what is best

i said best for them in the pont of view of society. society thinks it's cool to thnk columbus is a hero and that america was besieged because of manifest destiny (for example). my point is that as a parent YOU need to be aware of what your child is being taught and either fight to have it changed (a long and hard battle) or to sit your kid down and tell them to listen to what they're taught through a filter -- thereby taching them how to tell the difference between truth and propaganda.

>Why can't the
>schools fill in the blanks,
>that's their job?

again i agree, but if you're going to "fight the system" you better acknowledge that it is just that -- a fight. and one that you may not win. wither way, that child is STILL your responsibility and youneed to make sure it learns what you want it to (or at least has exposure to it).

>Why send
>you kid to a school
>where they teach lies or
>openly discriminate (how many of
>our boys are sent into
>special ed for the exact
>behavior that is excused in
>white children?) then talk about
>"well we'll fix it at
>the house". That's crazy.

what choice do you have? home schooling? private school? no. you can do all the things mentioned before, and continue to put bandages and medicine of knowledge on top of whatever scars the school system has/will put on them.

why are you fussing w/ me? i agree with you.

------QUOTE STARTS HERE------
BooDaah-OkayActivist Moderator
** PLEASE READ THE POSTING GUIDELINES:
http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines.html
-----------------------------
Sister SheRise's Activist Stew Recipe:
Step1:inform yourself step/Step2:inform others/Step3:discuss the problem/Step4: DISCUSS SOLUTIONS/Step5:EXECUTE SOLUTIONS/Step6:evaluate the results/Step7:start over at 1 until desired result is accomplished.
-----------------------------