Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectTrue..that's without question
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=20903&mesg_id=20950
20950, True..that's without question
Posted by nahymsa, Thu Sep-14-00 09:38 AM
but Shakespeare is not the only author who's works can be explored & who children may not choose to read on their own. In fact, some children wouldn't chose to read anything at all if given the choice which is why its extremely important for us to have some control on what is mandatory high school curriculm. To include 2 or 3 works by Shakespeare other authors must be left out because there simply isn't time.

Now in either junior high or high school I had to read Things Fall Apart & Macbeth both of which I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own. Things Fall Apart to me resonated more deeply & still does. Not every school has Things Fall Apart in their curriculm but every school has Shakespeare as standard. Fortunately for me, the school I attended didn't just sweat Shakespeare & only european writers. lucky for me, my mom made me read books outside of the normal curriculm. How many other kids are that fortunate?